Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flushing Drum for F150

Flushing Drum for F150

Guys,
    Can anyone recommend a flushing drum for a 150? I find the muffs alone inadequate to maintain a solid stream, and am currently using a cut-down 200L drum but it is a very tight squeeze and a bit of a pain. Considering trying to reshape the drum to make it more oval shaped which may make it a bit easier.
    What is everyone else using?

Thanks,
    Scott.

Re: Flushing Drum for F150

the earmuffs that feed water both sides have no problem on my F150 at all for steady jet stream of water flushing through

Looking forward to hearing about drum options too.

I am sick of dealing with lack of pressure from double entry ear muffs to 200hp.

i have a df175 i changed to using 3/4 inch hose and have great pressure give this a try first if you dont have that size hose
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    i have a df175 i changed to using 3/4 inch hose and have great pressure give this a try first if you dont have that size hose
    That is a good point mate and no doubt part of my problem. I don't have great pressure at home, but I am only running 10mm garden hose which is probably making things worse, hence why I am using a drum. I might see if I can dig up a larger diameter hose and see if that helps, but the pressure is definitely poor to begin with.

Don't know if it's ok to have an opinion seeing as i only have a piddly 115hp but i changed from garden hose to 18ml on my earmuffs and solved the same problem. Apparently it's more to do with volume and not so much pressure.

Absolutely makes a difference with a bigger hose. Double the size of the hose and you get quarter the friction loss = much more volume.
    I run 2 x 140'sat the same time off a 35 l/p/m pump. But use 25mm hose
    A while back I had to drain a rain tank to clean it, then transfer water back in from another tank. I knew from my work that the larger hose would make a difference but thought I'd do a comparison to know what the difference was. Both, hoses similar length, both running off the 35 L pump
    12mm hose produced 10 l/p/m
    25mm hose produced 30 l/p/m
    GIve it a go, a lot easier than messing around with some sort of tank
    Cheers
    Rod

The bigger hose sounds great. I have a yammie F150 and both my mechanic and Yamaha themselves say I should just use the direct bypass and not run the motor. The problem I had obviously with low pressure and 12 mm hose was not enough pressure/volume and this caused the plastic housing that the water pump sat in to start melting as it can get quite hot in only a few seconds. My mechanic when he services my motor does run it in a big water container because he can not trust clients water supply.

Question - running a larger diameter hose from a 12mm supply, would this require a manifold to build up volume/pressure or can you run it direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I have a yammie F150 and both my mechanic and Yamaha themselves say I should just use the direct bypass and not run the motor.
    You are opening a tin of worms now mate!! There have been a few threads on the same subject, and if I recall correctly some big corrosion issues from using the same procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post

Question - running a larger diameter hose from a 12mm supply, would this require a manifold to build up volume/pressure or can you run it direct.
    Good question
    Perhaps, see how much you can get straight out of the tap and then compare that to what you can get from the end of the hose.
    Cheers
    Rod

Not sure how old your house is, but majority of houses have pressure limiting values after the meter or before the main feed into the house. Remove that and you will be amazed. I tried a drum on my 225 could not find one big enough that could fit under the leg. Now I duct tape up the extra intakes once I get home from the ramp while the leg is dry. Deffinetly helps with water coming out the tell tail.

I use a wheelie bin with a cut out. Found it floating out back after the last flood.
    I just guage it with my 140 and cut to suit. Just have to top up the water if you want to run it long.
    I used to have a kiddies pool that was filled by a storm water pipe. It was deep enough and I can flush both 140s at the same time. Just got to back ger up with the legs up and trim her down, it was too easy.....
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
    Not sure how old your house is, but majority of houses have pressure limiting values after the meter or before the main feed into the house. Remove that and you will be amazed.
    Interesting, thanks mate - house hasn't yet had its 10th birthday so that could be a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by hungry6 View Post
    I use a wheelie bin with a cut out. Found it floating out back after the last flood.
    That is something I might look into, at least it will be strong enough to last a while. I am not sure it will be much wider than the 200L drum I have though.

my house is under 10 years old and the pressure is good no limiters.

just change all your fittings then you have a 3/4 supply and the motor will not be trying to suck all the water as it should only be idling
    happy days ahead summer is coming