Thread: Irakandji

Irakandji

Have a look at this nasty little guy.
    http://www.whitsundaytimes.com.au/ne...sland/3050857/
    so small........

randell

Re: Irakandji

Absolutely nuts for this time of year. Bloody scary. They've just severely limited Prof Jamie Seymour's research funding, apparently, which is another massive loss on the subject. Like has been said in the past, when these babies make it to the coast of SEQ, tourism's gonna fall on its arse. Let's hope it doesn't happen. They're already at Agnes most years, now.

Cuzza

I'd be more worried about the crocodiles that are lurking 60 k's north of Noosa....

The southern crocs seem to be mind their business, though. Far less of them than up north, so better fed. Not saying an attack isn't possible, but much less than up north. Irukandji have the same response to people regardless of where they are.

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzamundi View Post
    Absolutely nuts for this time of year. Bloody scary. They've just severely limited Prof Jamie Seymour's research funding, apparently, which is another massive loss on the subject. Like has been said in the past, when these babies make it to the coast of SEQ, tourism's gonna fall on its arse. Let's hope it doesn't happen. They're already at Agnes most years, now.

Cuzza
    They have - just not in big numbers. Never saw a follow up article but there was a kid tagged and ended up in hospital pretty crook after swimming at Wellington Point last summer.
    http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...05-12i63y.html

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    They have - just not in big numbers. Never saw a follow up article but there was a kid tagged and ended up in hospital pretty crook after swimming at Wellington Point last summer.
    http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...05-12i63y.html
    Not the same species as you get up north. They are Morbakka, which are found in Moreton Bay. There have also been stings at Redcliffe, and Fraser Island from Morbakka. Still give off Irukandji Syndrome, but not nearly as bad as the northern cousins (Carukia Barnesi), which is why there's much less press on them. When the northern ones move south, that's when all hell could break loose.

Cuzza

Really!!just stay out of the water with the big lizards and wear a Lycra swim suit thingy for the stingers,,,
    what really freaks the hell out of me is zeeka virus..once that hits Asia were screwed mainly northern QLD anyway and beyond I suppose as we're Asias playground and in reality it only takes 1Infected person to start the process,so you might be seeing some super cheap property sales round the corner...