Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: best of the best outboards

Ausfish Silver Member

best of the best outboards

first i should say there are a few outboard manufactures these days making good outboards and really it just comes down to what 1 suits you and your price and what options the 1 you choose has... i dont want to start a silly thread but i want to open it up to a real no holds barred have your say (keep it respectfull if you can) lol debate on why you think your best of the best outboard is the best and see if we can point out the differences some may or may not have.. so the purpose is to help some people decide and we need something to chat about as we payed a membership lol.. so please let it rip tell everyone why your favourite outboard is a cut above the rest... thanks happy trails...

Re: best of the best outboards

My favourite is the one on the back of my boat because it gets me out on the water and home again.

But I do feel a little buzz standing next to any of the 250hp or above motors. They are just so big. It's amazing boats can float with them on. They look great being so large and sleek. I envy anybody who has one let alone two! It's the same buzz I get when Queensland wins an origin, but not nearly so often.

Otherwise brand and model I really don't care. Mines a Suzi 90 4/ and gets awesome economy but I'm sure the other brands are just as good.

627hp 6.2lt Chev V8. Because bigger IS better!
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

In reality the best outboard - is one that belongs to a mate that will take you fishing. Anything less than that is bound to get expensive or break down eventually.

Etec is the best because they only have to be serviced every 300 hours and pull other outboards backwards in tests.

Cant beat em.

Debate over.

Ausfish Silver Member

i get the same feeling pixie it is awesome to see 2 350hp huge outboards hangin off a boat... and wow basser i never knew outboards existed in that high a hp range they are unreal when im rich i might not be happy with 2 350 hp outboards anymore i might want those beautys in the video so kool..

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post

627hp 6.2lt Chev V8. Because bigger IS better!
    its a chev, will probably launch a piston though the block sooner rather than later.
    what a sad sad AB

Ausfish Silver Member

i love all outboards and wouldnt mind a honda yammy suzuki and those main big name engines.. but i am partial to mercury my 1st outboard was a red band 20hp mercury and i flogged it day and night i sunk it once and due to a fuel leak caught it on fire and run and run it for hours and it kept going..if i bought one now it would have to be a usa made mercury...

Yamaha, due to the inbuilt hardness

Quote Originally Posted by hainsofast View Post
    its a chev, will probably launch a piston though the block sooner rather than later.
    My 6.0lt Chevy has 349,000 k's on it now, still on the original plugs and fanbelt. Pistons are still all where they should be.
    Dale

Aussiebasser................because I love watching the fuel gauge needle move from F to E so quickly on those motors in your video.... LOL

If you can afford to put $200k of outboards on your boat, the cost of fuel isn't a real issue.
    Dale

Ausfish Silver Member

i must say id be happy with any new high hp outboard and of course bassas beasts lol chew more fuel then a jumbo lol but at this stage they are the meanest pair of insanely high horsepower outboards ive ever seen

Ausfish Silver Member

so basser they are 627hp each? so 1254 hp all up???

Quote Originally Posted by hainsofast View Post
    627 hp from a small block. ..yeah I'd be a little concerned. Thats motorcycle specific output figures. Gotta be supercharged.
    That said, with more sedate tuning I'd rate the 60 year old design with modern internals up there with modern outboards for longevity. I have one with 2 cylinders cut off. Doesn't put out 3/4 of 627hp though.
    I reckon they'd look and sound better in the boat than hanging off the transom.