Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: best of the best outboards

Re: best of the best outboards

As a general rule, 4 strokes tend to be much flatter than 2 strokes, that said the 2 stroke rises very fast, but dies just as fast, this is why with conventional 2 strokes, you can be cruising along, hit the back of a swell, and the motor just dies, you give it a heap of throttle and you're off again, then you have to pull back the throttle to prevent going too fast! 4 strokes tend to just plod along at cruise speeds.

Probably down to greater moving mass in the 4st? Heavier flywheel etc...
    What you say is certainly true in motorcycles....I hear too many arguments about 2st outboards getting better holeshot to totally agree.
    In practice I have an inboard so really just talking out the top of my hat.

Peak horsepower may be printed on the cowlings, but torque is what really matters in a marine environment- and the Etecs have more of it, more of the time. No surprise, 2 stroke and direct injection is a recipe for immense torque. BRP recently did a new video with the G2 150 vs Yamaha 200. The 4 stroke fanboys were crying foul because the Yamaha was a 4 cylinder (yet with slightly more displacement and 50hp more than the G2). But that was the whole point- a larger number on the cowling means little in the real world if the torque isn't there. Like the 1320 guys will tell you, horsepower wins arguments, torque wins races.

Ausfish Silver Member

that would help stuie not to be paranoid ha ha but it sounds like there conforting ...

I would not read too much into any promotional material released by any manufacturer of any brand or operating principal., there has been plenty showing boats being pulled backwards, and pulled under water, simply rigged advertising hype.

Ausfish Silver Member

i agree noelm as service history some may say i get 5 or 7 years vs your 3 or 4, well let me say this if any of the main outboard brands cant last beyond 2 or 7 year waranty it aint worth the paper the waranty is written on.. and i could say that some generous waranties are just a ploy to get more sales.. for example my newly bought tohatsu 18hp has a 3 year waranty and i was told by mercury dealer recently we do a 3+2 or 5 year.. question is do i need a 5 year?.. if i look after my engine like i usally do i expect it to last 10 or more years so what good is a 5 or 7 year waranty....

[QUOTE=up the creek;1617924 so what good is a 5 or 7 year waranty....[/QUOTE]

You won't know until after the 5th or 7th year. Plenty of engine faults don't present straight away. I had one motor that ran flawlessly for nearly two years and then had a catastrophic failure with no warning.

Ausfish Silver Member

true scottar bro but you know all have weak motors 1 year or another and im sayin if you got a good1 and you look after it it should last 10 years and a warranty dont matter.. but if i bought a dud and yes id be thankfull for the waranty but id also be stuffed as i dont believe in a waranty if theres a major problem might as well scrap it and start again with another engine.. of course if its a 50 000 dollar engine you gonna want a waranty..

Pretty hard to beat Hondas proper 7 year warranty, none of this 3+3= 6 years that Mercury try to shove in your ear, any manufacturer that would guarantee something running in salt water is either very confident, or have a dollar margin built into the price to cover "things" I believe Honda is confident, not hiding a warranty surcharge.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I would not read too much into any promotional material released by any manufacturer of any brand or operating principal., there has been plenty showing boats being pulled backwards, and pulled under water, simply rigged advertising hype.
    Some of the fuel economy comparisons may be slightly rigged, there's some discussion at the moment on THT about the latest fuel economy challenge where they had two boats running side by side to Key West to demonstrate range. That's a flawed testing method for obvious reasons. But it's hard to argue that these torque tests are rigged. They use independent parties to verify that the engines are propped correctly etc. But moreover, there's no denying that the DI 2 strokes make appreciably more torque than their 4 stroke counterparts.

They put a new power head on it and it did twenty years with me before I sold it. Warranty was well worth it in my books. Sometimes stuff happens. That's what warranty is for. Plenty of guy's regularly buy a new motor and then on sell it before the warranty runs out. With a Honda, that expense can be spread over more years now as well. Definitely a useful marketing tool and something that will sway a lot of buyers if the motors they are comparing are otherwise similar.

Ausfish Silver Member

of course scottar bro any outboard can fail and a warranty is worth the paper if your unlucky to get a dud.. and its a dud in my book if it dont last 10 years at least.. and in that case i dont care about 2 3 5 or 7 year warranty but saying that my 18hp was worth 2265.00 so i can gamble a little i guess it depends on how much you spend to how valuable a warranty is....

Ausfish Silver Member

yeah i agree noelm and i think (im not sure please correct me) but its not 5 years its 2 years on 1 thing and 3 on the other not 5 years on any failure.. either way 7 year no mucking around does hold weight..

Ausfish Silver Member

niiiiiiiiiiice davidson bro... i never liked the new evinrude look but that 1 looks mean..

Wtf g2 wty in the states is 5 years as is the service interval but telewater only offering 3 yr wty with an extra 2 if u get serviced every 100 hours (according to vid above). The biggest selling point imho Is the 5 yr service interval. That's how the price is structured to compete with 4s. As usual we get the shaft in Australia. I could cope with the extra price and poor resale if they honoured the 5 yr service interval and wty. Up yrs telewater