Thread: kinkunna, Bundy way

kinkunna, Bundy way

Morning all,
    Heading up to Kinkunna in a couple of weeks for a week and will be camping on the beach. No boat this trip but just looking for info such as can i take the hound, are fires permitted and fishing, camping locations.
    Thanks all,
    Jn

Re: kinkunna, Bundy way

Not sure if dogs are allowed, but I've seen heaps there in the past.

Fires definitely allowed, unless there's a ban, which I doubt will be the case after the rain.

Fish anywhere along the stretch for a variety of species - Whiting, flatties, sometimes trevors etc. Also there's a small creek up towards Theodolite that holds some decent fish. Enjoy it.

Cuzza

Thanks Cuzza,

Would it be worth while putting a legal size whiting on a bigger rig and sending it back out?? The kids will enjoy the whiting fishing but I would enjoy using one for live bait in the hope something bigger is lurking around....Mackerel?, Big Trevors, Queenies?? I have noticed the creek mouth up the north, surely there would be a queenie or two around those banks? Thanks for the post.
    JN

I believe Kinkuna is a national park so pets may not be allowed.

Definitely whack a whole whiting on your rig. You do get the odd macks cruising through there, too, although they're mostly around the drop, which is about a hundred metres out at low. Still, give it a go for sure. Let us know how you go.

Cuzza

Thanks again Cuzza, I will be taking a couple of Yaks so might get the good wife to go for a paddle offshore and drop my livey out at the drop off, grab a couple of cold ones and sick back and wait while the kids get amongst the whiting.......
    JN

I reckon if you can yack out and hug that drop off, you'll pick something decent up for sure, especially with some livies, or a well presented lure. Either way make sure you let us know how you go. Enjoy paradise, mate.

Cuzza

I'm excited. This trip was going to be for the kids, catching whiting. After speaking to you Cuzza and a quick chat with my mate who put me onto kinkuunna, I'm keen as a dog at a cat show !
    Will keep you posted.
    Jn

Yeah, get into them, mate. Definitely big boy fish there as well as smaller for the kids. The place should be deserted when you're there, too. Make sure you let us know how you go.

Cuzza

Well just spent the past week camping up at Kinkunna. Great spot and not to many left around like this. Fishing was very slow with us getting into some nice whiting for the first few days then everything just went quite..........I had a feeling I knew the reason why and a quick trip up the beach in the 4by confirmed my thoughts. Netters were working the beach and had been doing some shots the day before.....Got the good wife to paddle the kids yak out with a livie in tow for me to be dropped out on the drop off in hope of something big taking it but to no avail. Had one good hit and as always the case, I watched my rod buckle over from the camp site, wife reckons she hasn't seen me run that quick in 20yrs but it was a wasted effort with no hook up..Spent the days worming, fishing, drinking etc. Dropped the hound off at the boarding Kennels in Gympie on the way up to find out that less than a km up the beach from where we were camping is not national park and we could of taken her. Apparently the sand mine has jurisdiction and are happy (at this stage) for people to camp there with your dog. All in all a nice chilled out week and will def return with a boat in tow to check out more of the area. I do have to make comment regarding the young and old idiots that drive there 4bys absolutely flat knacker along the beach, not even slowing down when they realise that there are kids on the beach. Unbelievable and it got to the point that myself and my mates parked our 4bys on the beach in an effort to make them slow down and give the kids some protection. Then heard some hero thrashing the crap out of his car tearing up the sand dunes on one night and they wonder why places like this are getting harder to find or banning access altogether. Only other downer was that my 3 way fridge packed it in. Its only a couple of years old, had limited use. Was running it on gas, went well for a couple of days then just went warm, pilot light was still going just not chilling down. Works well on 240, but never really performed on 12v and this is the first issue with it on gas, any ideas. Its a dometic Chescold.
    JN

Fridge Needs to be regased

Thanks' Rodman but just had a call from the technician. It seems the fridge was all choked up with soot. The reason being he inspected the gas jets to find that it was fitted with a incorrect gas jet, and not only that, the gas jet had been tampered with itself, he reckons some one has tried to bore out the holes and make them bigger. Now this is strange as fridge was bought new and had only minimal use, I have def not touched the gas jet and are 100% sure no one else has either. I spoke to Dometic and they are not happy about this and are touching base with the repairer to investigate and see how this has eventuated.. It is out of warranty but the fella from Dometic was great and very concerned about this. $170 bill for service and new gas jet. It will be interesting to see what comes of this but overall, I am happy that it is finally operating as it should. Will wait and see.
    JN