Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you do?????

Re: What would you do?????

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    Assuming you are in Queensland, you must have a Roadworthy (Blue sheet) displayed if it is registered and you are selling it. You could get booked for having a "For Sale" sign on it without the blue notice. That's why you see cars with "Interested" instead of "For Sale" on them.
    The buyer will still need a receipt from the last registered owner to be able to get it registered.
    Thanks for the heads up, mate. Didn't know this, either. So, even if I end up getting the rego transferred to my name, I'll still need a roadworthy? Are people still able to sell when they state the word 'Interested'? In other words, if they end up still selling it, are they doing so illegally?

Cuzza

Also meant to ask - does the buyer need a RWC if he is sold my vehicle (that's still registered) and wants to continue to pay rego for it after the next round runs out? How does that work? If a car is for sale/interested that's still registered, and someone buys it without a RWC, do they then need a RWC, or is the receipt from the owner enough for them to renew rego when it's due? Hope that makes sense.

Cuzza

If you sell your vehicle registered, you must supply a Safety Certificate (Roadworthy). It must have a Safety Certificate to transfer the rego or re-register it, unless it is being transferred to a licenced motor dealer. You will never be able to get it transferred into your name without the Safety Certificate. If it stays in your name after your sell it, you are responsible for all toll evasions, speed camera fines, parking tickets and damage/injuries caused by the vehicle. To sell it to someone registered, and leave it in your name would be very, very foolish, and illegal.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Aussiebasser,

Thanks for the info.

With getting it put in my name, what if I did what Dignity suggested: get the official owners to sign a transfer form that states that I'm allowed on as a registered owner, as well as them, and then a month or so later, take their name off the rego. That way I can keep the vehicle. On the transfer form it states that you're exempt from providing a RWC during the transfer as long as one registered operator remains the same.

Cuzza

For the record ...registration is not proof of ownership. There is a difference between who owns the vehicle and who is the registered user

Do what ever you like with it

see here

https://publications.qld.gov.au/data...7-may-2016.pdf

cheers

You would have to have your own Licensed Motor Trader's license to do it that way, which will cost you more than a restoration on the old rust bucket.. I don't understand why you're trying to go through all this illegal stuff to try to get what is basically an unroadworthy vehicle on the road in your name. Vehicles have to have Safety Certificates done for a reason. There are enough buckets of junk on the road. You've had a pretty good, totally illegal run for a long time with that Patrol, don't you think it's time to do the right thing?
    Dale

You would have to have your own Licensed Motor Trader's license to do it that way, which will cost you more than a restoration on the old rust bucket.. I don't understand why you're trying to go through all this illegal stuff to try to get what is basically an unroadworthy vehicle on the road in your name. Vehicles have to have Safety Certificates done for a reason. There are enough buckets of junk on the road. You've had a pretty good, totally illegal run for a long time with that Patrol, don't you think it's time to do the right thing?
    What he said...

Also worth considering that if you're driving around in an unroadworthy vehicle and have a crash your insurance is void... that could cost you a lot depending on what/who you hit.

If it's in good mechanical condition as you say then you should get a reasonable amount for it from the 4wd crowd, most likely from someone looking for parts.

His insurance is void anyway because the third party insurance will be in the name of a Licensed Motor Dealer who is now deceased.
    Dale

Cuzza, i think the answer is fairly simple .

keep driving it till the rego runs out , go get a roadworthy and treat as a new rego in your name.

if the cost to get it roadworthy is too much then sell it unregistered and move on. You have to pay rego anyway and if it costs you $1500 to get up to scratch its still cheaper than buying another one and you know this cars history

The rust is pretty much confined to the roof. It's enough to make it unroadworthy (in my estimation), but all else is good with the vehicle. It will cost many thousands, I'd imagine, to fix the roof/have it re-done, which is why I'm looking at my options. If it wasn't for this rusty section, I'm pretty sure it would be in RWC as is. I haven't had a 'totally illegal' run for a long time at all. Rust has only just recently become a glaring problem, and I called the owners last night, spoke to his wife (the business is still registered), and he did survive the stroke after all. He's not in a good way, poor fella, but the bottom line is it's still all in operation. They would have told me if otherwise, as they're decent people. The business has always been going. Either way I will be bypassing this latest option and will sell it unregistered. Hopefully the 4wd crowd, as suggested, will be keen.

Cuzza

convertible ?? I would still get a professional opinion before making any decision

He is still alive then get a receipt of purchase from him, bog the roof and find a lenient safety cert and re-register into your name. Done.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

I would find out how much the rwc would be. It may frighten the bejesus out of you.
    Add all the cost involved and you may change your mind. Add the transfer of ownership tax about $300 in Victoria, i am sure the Qld government would want its cut too.
    There is no such thing as " everything is fine" except the rust. Tyres , rotors, pads, shockers, new screen .Suddenly that $500 bomb is costing you $3000.
    Dont forget your insurance is probably null and void. They dont need too many reasons to drop a claim.

I hear your pain, but my opinion is junk it before it bites. You are short of a dollar and its gonna take it all if you let it.