Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marine Batteries?

Marine Batteries?

I know it's been done to death and I have searched through nearly every thread on the subject but I'm after advice for two new batteries for my boat.
    Motor is Suzuki 175hp. (>670 CCA) Usual accessories (lights, pumps, radios, stereo, sounder and GPS) plus trim tabs. What brand and size for crank and house (dual setup). Last batteries (which are kaput!) were AC Delco SMF heavy duty + deep cycle. Guy at battery world suggested two century marine pro730 (dual purpose). Is it ok to go with two dual purpose marine or have 1 designated crank + 1 deep cycle house?

Re: Marine Batteries?

Not a fan of the Century batteries. Have used Supercharge marine for many years now.

Used an Allrounder on my previous boat that ran a DFI requiring high CCA, and 2 x Gold on my current boat, 5 years and still going strong. I would look seriously at them.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I have had a good run from Century batteries, just replaced and aging 720 with another one, unless you use a lot of accessories for long periods of time, without charging, I don't see much sense in a deep cycle, electric outboards and stuff, for sure, but using a couple of LED lights, or a sounder for a while, there is no real need.

For me the standout battery has been Optima D31M / D34M (blue tops) Duel purpose....... They hold their charge better than any other battery that I've used. Spiral wound AGM which makes them robust & can be mounted at any angle .... they also charge quickly. The the D31M is a 900CCA with 75amp deep cycling

Yes they cost basically double that of a normal lead acid battery .... but there are a couple of online sellers that can save you some serious coin .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Bronze Member Stressless's Avatar

My Century Marine Pro 720's died last month after 4.5 years, kept on trickle. Replaced them with two new Century 730's, fingers crossed

Ditto, I got 6 years out of Century 720's and I only replced them because the battery shop guy said one was a bit down and would need replacing within 12 months...probably not the best out there but have had a good run with them, current 720's been in for 3 years and no issues but yes if the boat not being used they are always on charge.

Try the Optima's I have used them on two boats and have a good run out of them. Last longer than any lead acid battery that I have used.

If anyone is running electronics (side scan) / live bait tanks for any length of time ...... go optima ! there are batteries & ....then there are batteries .
    where a normal lead acid battery falls over ...... is f you do short runs on the motor & then run electrics over a longer period - a big issues say when fishing impoundments or creeks

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks for the advice. I ended up with the Supercharge Seamaster Gold M70 for crank and an ACDelco HCM31-SMF (110ahr) for dual purpose/house duties. I got both of these for $430. The sales guy did try to to sell me an Optima Blue Top but it was a little over my budget this time round. I should still get 4-5 years service from these two batteries if regularly charged.
    Cheers
    Thomo

Just a little off topic. I was thinking of putting a second battery in the boat to run electronics, live bait tank, etc. Do you have to use marine batteries in a boat or can you use a normal battery. I have a spare secondary battery out of my 4wd that I could use.

What are the differences between car and marine batteries ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I run a /Century Marine Deep Cycle for Electric and a simple Century 18AH Sealed Lead Acid to run lights, sounder, bilge etc - no dramas with that set up. No reason why your normal 4wd battery wont work if it has some form of deep cycle capability or you wont drain it flat on its CC ability

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Just a little off topic. I was thinking of putting a second battery in the boat to run electronics, live bait tank, etc. Do you have to use marine batteries in a boat or can you use a normal battery. I have a spare secondary battery out of my 4wd that I could use.

What are the differences between car and marine batteries ?

you should be using a deep cycle battery - a car battery is designed to pump out a lot power for a short period of time & not be meant to be discharged down to below around 80% - the alternator quickly puts the charge back into it ......

a deep cycle battery is designed to be discharged right down & be recharged many times . that's what is used in a golf cart or fork lift

A marine battery is designed with both starting & deep cycling in mind ..... they are more robust (heavier plates).

So no you shouldn't use a car battery in a boat at all - either for a cranker or a house battery

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by barra_cuda81 View Post
    I ended up with the Supercharge Seamaster Gold M70 for crank I should still get 4-5 years service from these two batteries if regularly charged.
    Cheers
    Thomo
    Hey Thomo Good choice. I got 7 years out of my last set and one is still going but I swapped out and now keep that one for the second battery to run the fridge. I think the reason mine died was during th trailer rebuild I didn't charge it for about 4 months. Usually have them on a 5m solar trickle charger which seams to do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    you should be using a deep cycle battery - a car battery is designed to pump out a lot power for a short period of time & not be meant to be discharged down to below around 80% - the alternator quickly puts the charge back into it ......

a deep cycle battery is designed to be discharged right down & be recharged many times . that's what is used in a golf cart or fork lift

A marine battery is designed with both starting & deep cycling in mind ..... they are more robust (heavier plates).

So no you shouldn't use a car battery in a boat at all - either for a cranker or a house battery

chris
    NAGG - thanks for the detailed and informative reply.

They say it's good to learn something new every day and today I just learnt a little more about batteries ✔️✔️✔️

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    NAGG - thanks for the detailed and informative reply.

They say it's good to learn something new every day and today I just learnt a little more about batteries ✔️✔️✔️

I did learn from my mistake ....

There are some pretty good youtube clips that are worth watching

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO