Thread: What strength mono for bridge pylons?

What strength mono for bridge pylons?

Ive lost 2 big jacks over 50 recently to 30lb braid rubbing on bridge pylons. As I am anchored up only 3-4m from the pylons, I cant easily chase the fish with the electric. Ive asked myself why am I using braid for bait fishing near structure? So I might rig up a new combo just for close up combat. I will switch rods to something shorter and stiffer like a 10-15kg boat rod. Ive got a Stradic 8000 with a spare spool, so I can easily fit 100m of mono on it.

What strength mono do I need? Ive got some Schnieder 35lb, but Im thinking maybe I should go to 50lb? 80m length would be plenty, so spool size isnt an issue. Has anybody had experience with mono that survives a hard run around a bridge pylon?

cheers
    Andrew
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

Re: What strength mono for bridge pylons?

Mate we used to and still occasionally do chase Black Jew around pylons and nothing under 80lb mono handline , and nothing under 50lb braid ..Them pylons dont play fair and on purpose build up a shyteload of sharp barnicles etc all over themselves just to pi$$ you off when a good fish rubs or passes against them..

I'd stick with braid. Even when you are getting up to 80lb mono the stretch in the mono will give the jacks that 4 or 5 meters they need to reef you. Any tight line be it braid or mono will part over barnacle encrusted pylons. Step it up to 50lb braid imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post
    . Any tight line be it braid or mono will part over barnacle encrusted pylons.
    Thanks guys, Yes I think you are right. Any line with load on it will rub off if the pylon is sharp enough. Do all pylons have barnicles on them in salt water? Even if they are 10 km upstream?

Ive found a spool with 80lb braid on it, so I'll give that a go. It sounds like I need to get some nylon coated wire and make a hand line to be really sure.
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

My opinion is leave the wire off the braid and use a Mono leader instead of equal breaking strain....