Thread: Tinny cover when used as a tender

Tinny cover when used as a tender

Hi
    I just want some ideas on how to cover my Quinny Dart 3.75 when I use it as a tender and stay overnight on my cruiser. I have a good quality canvas boat cover but it is designed to attach to a trailer to pull it taut, so how do I make it tight when on the water so as to keep the rain out, has anyone got any ideas as I don't want to wake up one morning and find my Quinny tinny has sunk?
    Thanks

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Tinny cover when used as a tender

please dont do anything that dont work well,, i dont want to be responsible for your sunken tinnie lol.... but maybe milk crates there light,can be tied together easy and maybe tied to the seats to make 2 masts at each end sorta like a circus tent.. just an idea dont sue me if your quinny sinks lol..

Nah I won't sue you if your idea don't work lol I appreciate your help. I had thought of raising th cover so the rain will run off and milk crates would be good, I was going to source a bit of flat metal to form an arc from rollick to rollick, I'm just not sure how to tie the cover down around the boat

Ausfish Silver Member

i hope the ark you create dont need to survive the bible arc conditions lol jokes.. the obvious answer wether its doable or affordable is to pay to get small loops or eyes welded onto ur tinnie to tie off too ,,dont know how often you use your tender but that would solve the problem properly..

Use an old dome tent pole in the row locks to make your "arc" under the cover, they fold up easy when not in use an can easily take out required section for the right length. But it would take a lot of rain to sink a tinny overnight, would you even be out in that kinda weather? Does it have a battery/bilge pump?

My tinny doesnt have a bilge and yeah the weather can can bad overnight quickly, I want to be preapred. I like the idea of the hooks around the outside of the boat that would work well, Thanks

Leave the bung out so it can drain....

Yes I am joking. 99.9% of the time it is not going to rain enough to sink a tinny that size overnight, and if weather like that is forecast its no fun in the boat anyway. Why not just get a little portable bilge pump from somewhere, attach a length of flexible hose and some alligator clips and the once in a blue moon that you need to worry about it, get up every few hrs and pump it out? Otherwise you will be "cover on, cover off" eveyrime it looks like rain which sounds like a chore to me. Jmho

Make sure you take an old bloke with you who has prostate issues and when he get up for a pee every hour or 2 he can check it.!

As Triple says you can use the fibreglass poles from a dome tent, all the places that sell tents sell spares. Also have a look at where you have your rod holders situated as these would also be places you could put a bow. You can screw in those nylon fittings which are used for storm covers or ute covers and use bungy cord on your covers as tie downs, lot easier than rope through eyelets and already available off the shelf at all camping stores and auto stores.

Thanks everyone I have it sorted, using bowed metal bar in the rollicks and the cover I have
    Is elasticised and can pull tight around the tinny.
    cheers