Thread: etec expert-bundy area

etec expert-bundy area

Relocated to Bundaberg area-recommendations on etec mechanic please. Have an ongoing issue the country dealers back home couldnt resolve & wouldnt do onwater testing. Also looking at options on re-propping or hydrofoil to solve another issue. thanks gang

Re: etec expert-bundy area

Kieran at Butler's Marine, has looked after mine for years and is very reliable, but as a result can be busy. As an aside I had a friend with a 50 tiller e-tec that had the weirdest faults that could not be diagnosed, which turned out to be the breather on his portable tank. I don't know if you have one of those, but worth a mention - we managed to find more information on the USA E-Tec forum.

Thankyou -ill ring & try my luck as soon as my maintenance history I forgot to pack arrives.
    Yes ive read up on the US forum & noted that came up a bit with my problem.ive got 07 40hp side console -now with 1,000hrs (tragic I know -imagine whats on the minn kota lol) driving me mental, doesnt throw any computer faults & only happens when hot - after long periods of trolling (idle). Tank tested for 1.5hrs but not being underload its failing to fault in the workshop. Obviously im no mechanic (but in a family of them) and it still seems fuel starvation to me. replaced pretty much every related component $$$ with no joy......augh. also starting to foul spark plugs at a ridiculous rate. I Fish solo & offshore now, so happy to wait for an appt with someone who knows what the hell they are doing lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear001 View Post
    & only happens when hot - after long periods of trolling (idle). Tank tested for 1.5hrs but not being underload its failing to fault in the workshop. .
    What only happens Bear???

Hopefully Kieran can get it sorted for you - like Scottar I am wondering what the symptoms are. I am with the Bundy Sportfishing Club and a lot of members use him.

After about 4hrs of intermittent use, especially after long periods of trolling/idle once go plane (doesnt matter if its stopped first) wont get above about 2500revs. Coughs & splutters, runs rough & dies. Then it wont restart...kicks over, rough as guts for couple sec sometimes but wont fire. of course this is at end of a very looong day & leccy battery dead, miles from ramp lol.

Its been so long ongoing I actually forget what we started replacing. Its been serviced start of every fishy season/year from new -I do approx 100hrs a season. 100 oil. Bp premium. Past 18mnths have Replaced Fuel pump, plugs x3!! , hmmm master cyl gasket x2, fuel vapour seperator , tested new portable tank. no winner yet. I know the premium 98 runs hotter, my original dealer upon purchase told me run normal UL & must say never had plugs foul for years. Throws no fault codes. Just sounds like fuel starvation.fuel line is primed ok. I actually havent had it fault since being here (typical lol) & it didnt on trip last sept up this way either-but im not spending the time trolling at idle-macks are a bit quicker than murray cod
    Last edited by Bear001; 15-06-2016 at 12:05 AM. Reason: typo...beer goggles

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpthumpa View Post
    . I am with the Bundy Sportfishing Club and a lot of members use him.
    As a sidenote-would be keen to join a club of like minded tragics -can you point me in the right direction please stumpthumpa

Sure Bear, check out bundysportfishing(dot)com(dot)au or look for their facebook page. There was a meeting last Sunday, so next one is July 10th but no longer meeting at the Burnett Heads hall, so I will ask for it to be updated. I think it will be by the boat ramp at Burnett Heads after the Bream Shootout.

They will also be at the VMR comp at Burnett Heads 25/26 this month, with a food stand raising money for tagging and fish stocking. Also tagging and releasing fish from the live weigh in section.

As a thought have you ever had your oil supply checked for an air leak or bubbles? Have you ever had the motor winterised which helps purge air? I had a very similar problem on my 75hp and that was the solution.

Sounds like the injectors are getting some sort of blockage.. Have you or your mechanic ran Evinrudes Engine Tuner to clean the carbon out, and Evinrudes injector cleaner..

Quote Originally Posted by Bear001 View Post
    After about 4hrs of intermittent use, especially after long periods of trolling/idle once go plane (doesnt matter if its stopped first) wont get above about 2500revs. Coughs & splutters, runs rough & dies. Then it wont restart...kicks over, rough as guts for couple sec sometimes but wont fire. of course this is at end of a very looong day & leccy battery dead, miles from ramp lol.

Its been so long ongoing I actually forget what we started replacing. Its been serviced start of every fishy season/year from new -I do approx 100hrs a season. 100 oil. Bp premium. Past 18mnths have Replaced Fuel pump, plugs x3!! , hmmm master cyl gasket x2, fuel vapour seperator , tested new portable tank. no winner yet. I know the premium 98 runs hotter, my original dealer upon purchase told me run normal UL & must say never had plugs foul for years. Throws no fault codes. Just sounds like fuel starvation.fuel line is primed ok. I actually havent had it fault since being here (typical lol) & it didnt on trip last sept up this way either-but im not spending the time trolling at idle-macks are a bit quicker than murray cod

What about your fuel lines, the inner linings break down after time, mine after only 6 years, bits of plastic could end up anywhere in your motor. I hope you get it sorted.

Winterize...fat chance...kermit not in shed long enough lol, but l do drop motor off leg etc if not used few days.

thanks all, for your replies -ill refresh my memory now service records have arrived & put up a summary or what ive missed. Im pretty sure when trialled new portable tank we did fuel line too, but to be honest cant remember. Hubby did oil & fuel pressure tests , as did dealer. To my knowledge no injector cleaner has been run through( -had injector replaced under warranty at 30hrs also).