Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercury 150 4 strokes Shark Cat

Mercury 150 4 strokes Shark Cat

So I was lucky enough to get the green light on new motors for the boat and decided on the new Mercury 150 4 Strokes. I was originally thinking the 150's would not be enough to get the boat up, but I was pleasantly surprised. Considering the boat has to be close to 2500kg, these motors sure impressed. We got close to 40 knots in the Port at just over 4000rpm and it cruised easily @ 25 knots outside around 2900-3000rpm.

I haven't got any fuel consumption or any of that yet. I'll put some up soon.

Hope the video is here

Re: Mercury 150 4 strokes Shark Cat

Good stuff mate many more happy days to come with new donks ..... Out of Instrest what props are you running 17p enertia ? ... Iam looking to re prop my 23"
    noosacat with 175 verados
    ...........GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO BAIT.........

19p

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

What sort of max RPM are you getting? Cruise at 3,000 is pretty low, just a bit higher would be nice to get the engines in their "comfort zone" not saying in any way shape or form something is wrong, or the motors are going to blow up or something, but from experience, most new style motors run best when cruise is around 3,500-4,000

Quote Originally Posted by Dr FuManchu View Post
    19p

did you try a set of 17s mate?
    What noelm says is on the money get it up 3500-4000rpm
    ...........GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO BAIT.........

No didn't try 17's. The boat yard tested it with the old props which were 19's. They considered 17's but were happy with 19's. I'm happy with it, but still need to do a few more hours to see it in different condtions

Max RPM? Don't think that lower cruise revs will always equal better fuel consumption, it can, but not always.

What motors did you have on their before?

I like these, just wish they expanded their range to 175 and 200.

Noel I didnt really open up to WOT so not sure of max rpm. Dave I had 1996 Blackmax Merc 200's so the props probably matched those motors better but I'm still happy with how the new motors ran the other day

6.0L Should push anything you would think. nice motors

Nice one!

Here was a clip we took of the twin 150s yammies on my 2300 Noosacat hitting 43 kts

Ausfish Silver Member

i wont add any technical info cos i cant lol ill leave that up 2 you guy but wow a shark cat with 300hp combined man id just love to open that up offshore wether the numbers are perfect on fuel etc you gotta be happy with that and just enjoy it thanks for the video 2... its awesome ..

I would be checking the max RPM as others have said, over propping kills 4 strokes real quick. That sort of boat needs the engines propped to achieve the max RPM the manufacturer recommends don't care what brand they are
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll definitely be getting it to WOT on our next outing. Operating manual says full throttle range should be between 5400-5800 revs.

Sounds about right, probably tend towards the upper end of that range too, are you saying you used the props off your old motors? the dealer didn't supply new ones?