Thread: Brisbane river 3/6

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Cool Brisbane river 3/6

The drive down to the port had me definitely second guessing the decision to go for a fish last Friday night, driving through the rain and wind squalls which didn’t look very comfortable. But alas the weather cleared from about 8:50 to 10:30 (I got rained on from 8:30 to 8:50).
    Found it hard to get some nice mullet with the extra high tide, also a lot of debris floating around. I did manage some small mullet, silver biddies and a couple of pike.
    Went and anchored near the port, dropped down silver biddies on one paternoster and mullet on another. Had a 96cm Jew take the silver biddies in about half an hour. Reset with silver biddies and then hooked the biggest eel I have caught, de-hooking it near the front of the boat and the tail was hanging out past the back of the boat, so was in the realm of 3m+....
    Was out of silver biddies at this stage so changed rods and rigs and sent down a fillet of pike. Wasn't long and a nice 88cm Jew picked it up. Rebaited with another fillet of the pike and this managed a 44cm snapper.
    The mullet didn’t account for any fish, silver biddies are fast becoming one of my more successful baits in the river.
    Was more than happy with the results of the night so headed home, 2 hrs to get bait and 3 nice fish.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	113317  
    Last edited by jackson4300; 08-06-2016 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Pictures

Re: Brisbane river 3/6

Whats a silver biddie

Don't worry just googled it.
    Are you buying or catching these?

Almako,

Silver Biddie Ovate. Very common, small type of estuary fish. Sort of looks like a tarwhine.

Cuzza

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Catching them in the cast net. They are quite common. Some people I know also refer to them as soapy bream.

Nice jewies mate. Thats a great short session you had.

Nice Jewies. What are they like to eat out of the river?

They taste the same as out of the bay Dr Pete in fact the same as anywhere else. The exception in a couple of cases is schoolies i have got off the beach which have been bloody sensational. Not sure why but perhaps their diet has a lot of seaworms in it.
    Ben