Thread: South beach Ballina report anyone?

South beach Ballina report anyone?

Hey there
    not really looking for a fishing report but more of a beach report after the 300mm of rain 100km/hr winds on south beach Ballina? Any reports would be much appreciated.
    regards

Re: South beach Ballina report anyone?

Ballina got smashed by that rain and king tides over the last few days. There was quite a bit of flooding in town. I doubt the beaches would be in very good condition.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Check out the surf cams on coastwatch.

Just got an update from Ballina village caravan park who are on the south side of the Richmond, report was

beach is in great condition as the only major change is that the soft fluffy sand has been replaced with packed hard sand

plenty of schoolies on the beaches prior to last weekend so with the flush it should bring on some good jewies over the next few weeks

gutters not as good as prior to the low coming down the coast but are still there and re forming nicely with each tide

good bream caught off the beach yesterday tailor around but very fussy and will only find them in cleaner high tide water

only 220mm of rain and beach is dirty water but not the chocolate brown usually encountered after a flood event

if I drive 10-15ks south towards Evans head the beach will be clear so fingers crossed things get a little but better between now and Saturday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailorfisho78 View Post
    Hey there
    not really looking for a fishing report but more of a beach report after the 300mm of rain 100km/hr winds on south beach Ballina? Any reports would be much appreciated.
    regards

Well did the trip down to south beach Ballina for the tailor greenback comp on Saturday and was met with near perfect surf fishing conditions. The only thing that didn't line up was the mom and tides. Arrived onto south beach at 3pm with a falling tide. Drove south picking out gutters and marking them on the GPS before deciding that the better gutters were on the northern end of south beach so proceeded to turn around and head back north. We ended up settling on a nice long gutter that had a great entrance at both ends but decided to fish the northern end of the gutter seen as though the sweep was running from the south to the north. Primary. Targets for the night was going to be Jewies and tailor. The water was nice and clean for the tailor which was a big surprise given the amount of rain a week earlier. Anyway didn't take long for the snelled twin 8/0 rig to go off and within the first 45mins had 2 bloody big bream in the esky, first one going 40cm and the second 37cm. Plenty of high fives going around and thinking what a great night we are in for, well how wrong was i. Only managed another 3 bream between 4pm and 12am one which was only 26cm. The other two around the 36cm mark. Did manage a shovel head and a 4ft reef shark but could not manage a tailor or a Jew. Nice night out on the beach with mates, a camp fire and a few cold beers and a stones green ginger to keep it all real. Wind picked up at 2am screaming 50kegs an hour straight up the beach so packed it in for the night. Next morning headed back to cabarita surf club for the weigh in of the green back tailor Comp to learn we missed weigh in by 20mins which was a real disappointment as I believed I had the winning bream of approx 1.4kegs in the esky. The heaviest bream weighted in at that stage was 940grams. A larger bream weighted in at 1.3kegs in the last five minutes and I was spewing knowing I had a big bream in the esky and I wasn't allowed to weigh it in. With much disgust we finished watching the weigh in and left, on arrival home i proceeded to weight my big bream and with much surprise it only weighed in at 1150kgs. Only 150grams in it. The biggest tailor was 3.9kegs with second biggest being 2.9kg. Not massive amounts of tailor weighed in with only a hand full of greenbacks and surprising not massive amounts of choppers either and not one single Jew was weighed in. Anyway that is how it goes I guess.
    Cheers and beers until next time
    Keithy

Nice one Keith. Thanks for posting the pics on fb while I was being called into work!
    Brendan

Hi I fished the Greenback too, we were around Broken Head and had a similar experience. Our first bait hit the water around 1.30pm and by 2.30pm I had landed 5 tailor the biggest 2.9kg the smallest around 2.2kg. At this point we were saying just wait till late afternoon and into the night. The fishing slowed right down and i managed about 1 fish an hour all around 1.5kg until the gale force winds forced us to move to spot B which produced nothing.
    I was really surprised there wasn't a single Jew weighed in, We had a livey out as well as beach worms and both went untouched, but I felt sure that either someone on a breakwall or who had found a mullet school would do ok. The beaches were generally poor with very little formation and we found anywhere near the river mouths the water was pretty dirty.
    I really enjoy the Greenback its well run and over a short time period, but mainly its a comp that focuses on shore based anglers targeting species we normally catch.