Thread: lowrance Link 5 VHF radio

lowrance Link 5 VHF radio

looking for some collective wisdom on VHF.

bought a new VHF radio (Link 5 from lowrance ) receives loud and clear from the bay i can hear M/bar and the Gold Coast but for the life of me i cannot transmit at all.

I'll bet it is something small but i'm buggered if i can figure it out, anyone had any experience with the Link 5 VHF

BigE

Re: lowrance Link 5 VHF radio

Make sure you have it set to international for starters and on high power. From that point you will need some help - it could be a crook antenna ( antenna condition is a lot more critical to transmit than receive), it could be a crook microphone or a crook set (I know it's new - it happens). Did you try a local VMR on 16.

set to international and on high power , keep prompting for GPS data position , I am hoping i dont need to hook it to my GPS cause my GPS is a Garmin and im not sure they will talk to each other.

BigE

got it sorted today, went to the options menu and turned everything off one by one.
    then started turning each option on one at a time, problem seemed to be the GPS Data option, once it was off the radio transmitted fine.

BigE

Good you sorted it. Not real smart on Lowrance's (or who ever makes it for them) software guy's part to stop a radio transmitting just because of invalid or missing GPS data. Most of the other brands I've played with will alarm but never seen one that stopped transmitting voice.

scottar
    was getting the alarm as well, didnt think this would affect transmission once the alarm was acknowledged, reception was clear as a bell but it would not transmitt.

bige