Thread: Long Toms as bait (frozen)?

Long Toms as bait (frozen)?

After a fairly slow day out on the water with only a few fish each i ended up chucking some river gear together and casting for some long toms sniffing around the boat, and ended up having far too much fun on 6 lb line and ended up landing a few and thought i might as well see how they go.
    anyway long story short i didn't get the chance to try them offshore but a quick stop in the river on the way home we managed a few good sized bream and even flathead on thin strips of the flesh.

Has anyone had much luck using them for bait offshore, and do they freeze down ok or do they end up like frozen yakka that can never seem to get any attention at all once they are iced down?

Re: Long Toms as bait (frozen)?

When it's all said and done, almost any flesh is good for bait, the type of bait used is more than likely dependent on convenience, lots use Mullet because it's cheap and easy to get, people reckon Grinners are good bait, and I am sure they are, but not too many would go chasing Grinners to stock up on bait! I use lots of Striped Tuna and Slimies for bait, but only because I can get lots of them for free, so, a nice strip of Long Tom will probably be as good as anything else for bait. Not too sure about your comment about Yakkas being not so good for bait.

I couldn't even get the local pelicans to eat it with the head removed but if it has worked once then it's worth further investigation.

fresh yakka seems to be unbeatable as strip bait, but after it's been frozen i can't get any reaction at all from it, where as mullet can survive 2 or three trips and refreezes before it starts to loose appeal to the usual bottom dwellers. I'm not sure why this is, it may just be the oils are more prevalent in the mullet. I'm just wondering if anyone has used long tom's after they've been frozen down and noticed if they faired noticeably worse then when it was fresh.

I did end up filleting and freezing the remanning ones in the end, I'll see how they go being thawed and fished.

I have seen a big Spanish mack sort out a school of long toms.
    i can only assume that they would work for Spanish baits.