Thread: Lawrence or Furuno?

Lawrence or Furuno?

After some good advice and for for thought on another thread i spent some time tuning the old HDS8 gen1 and comparing it with a spare elite 5 i had knocking around, the old solider just couldn't produce anything near the same picture clarity as its budget younger cousin. i briefly thought about running the 5 as a sounder and the 8 as a chart plotter but i'm a little short on dash space and it would be more practical and more benefit to just grab modern combo that can do both and probably give a better picture then 5 to boot.

I've started the ball rolling with research, talking to people who own or represent certain units and the all importent random button pressing in the shop .

Anyway I've narrowed it down to two choices, the Furuno p1870 and the Lawrence HDS 7 gen3. unfortunately i haven't found anyone local who stocks the Furuno so i'm just going on reviews, suggestions and experience of an older unit in a local boys boat. Basically the Lawrence offers touch screen, controls i'm familiar with, modern tech and runs navionics maps. on the down side my last 3 units have had minor but annoying bugs that never could be squashed.

The Furuno has a great write up, awesome reliability and clearly a very very good picture by all accounts and offers a very simple easy to use interface with no bells or whistles to trip over. however buying one site unseen is a little off-putting and it lacks the touch screen and navionics (never tried c-maps)

Re: Lawrence or Furuno?

where abouts are you fishing? what sort of fishing? do you have a budget you want to keep under. what colour is your hair?. what sort of boat is it?
    smooth peanut butter or crunchy?

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Dunno about other users but I lost my Lowrances to internal fogging which ate up the electronics.
    Next brand has to say "waterproof".

A quick run down on the finer detail:

fishing between 30 and 60 meters for the most part with the vocational trip deeper, minimal shallower work.
    Boats a 5.2 ally cat
    Fishing reef, shales bottoms and some weed bottom as well.
    actively targeting reef dwellers as opposed to pelagic
    boat stays outside these days so its gotta be fully waterproof

I also enjoy long walks on the beach in good company, wine with bubbles is a sure fire way into my heart and my favourite spoon variety has to be the humble teaspoon.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejim View Post
    Dunno about other users but I lost my Lowrances to internal fogging which ate up the electronics.
    Next brand has to say "waterproof".
    IP56 is dust and jetted water proof.
    Next one is IP57 dust and short immersion.
    If my electronics were immersed I think I would have more to worry about.
    Fogging is I think a bigger problem.
    I have had furuno since the chart days on wet boats along side lowrance with no trouble.
    I think water ingress is more a unit issue rather than a brand especially today.
    Just my thoughts

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk