Thread: Any reports from Fraser & Hows the launch gutter

Any reports from Fraser & Hows the launch gutter

I am heading on the annual Fraser migration in a couple of weeks and am really interested in any reports from anyone who has recently been at Waddy.

Hows the fishing (silly question) and hows the gutter for launching?

cheers
    Glen

Re: Any reports from Fraser & Hows the launch gutter

I was up there about 2 weeks ago mate. The gutter would have changed by now and will change again by the time you get there. Saying that it was a little tricky at at low and an hour either side. Seen a few boats take a wrong turn and end up in an outside gutter. A few were coming in the gutter up against Waddy at high tide when the swell wasn't too bad.

As for the fishing, its been pretty bloody good of late, i had a cracker few days out. Plenty of Reds coming in and bag limits on the usual suspects!

Have a good trip!

Thanks mate great info and good to hear you got, amongst the fish, I was beginning to wonder if anybody still made the effort to fish Fraser with no response after a week.. Sounds like the gutter is pretty good then and it has opened up near the headland . How big was the boat you were launching and did you have a different launch / retrieve spot for different stages of the tide, or was it workable from the same spot throughout the tide? It shouldn't change too much over the next 3 weeks with the stable weather patterns we have been experiencing. How were the sharks? and any size in the Reds?

We were up there a couple of weeks ago (launched from tIncan bay) and slept at waddy point overnight. On sunset, there were plenty of boats being pulled out along the beach. Plenty launched in the morning too. I would assume conditions on the beach for launching are pretty good.

Thanks mate. Its a good run up from the bar for just an overnighter. Nothing chewing further south? or just after a comfy snooze with a box full

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Morgan View Post
    Thanks mate great info and good to hear you got, amongst the fish, I was beginning to wonder if anybody still made the effort to fish Fraser with no response after a week.. Sounds like the gutter is pretty good then and it has opened up near the headland . How big was the boat you were launching and did you have a different launch / retrieve spot for different stages of the tide, or was it workable from the same spot throughout the tide? It shouldn't change too much over the next 3 weeks with the stable weather patterns we have been experiencing. How were the sharks? and any size in the Reds?
    They certainly do still give it a hammering up there, we counted 30 trailers on the beach one day! My boat is only a little fella, 4.75 Trailcraft side console, i used the same gutter for launching and retrieving. The bigger boats were having a hard time coming in at low, only because most of them backed off and didn't keep up it, i do tend to come in pretty hot though haha It was workable through the whole tide though. Sharks left me alone this trip which was a nice change, i did hear of some people having a hard time in close off Indian and Waddy though. Biggest red i seen come in was 95cm to the forks and just over 15kg, unfortunately that wasn't in my boat! Got a nice mixed bag every day, some good size jobby's on flesh baits and nice red throat too. Parrot all day every day which is to be expected.

I was up there last week , gutter is pretty good , entry and exit right out in front of waddy lodge pretty much , same gutter we used for 2 weeks morning and are as stated. Not much water at low but still manageable if you keep it on the plane into the opening.AS for then fishing it was pretty good they were chewing there heads off most days , plenty of red throat about ass well , and green job fish .

Morgooooooo,

Long time no hear mate. Thought you must have sold the seaspear and taken up lawn bowls lol.

There's no fish at Fraser mate. No reds left, just spangleds and Morwong buddy :-)

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

Haha Greg I was thinking the same thing when I saw his name come up, Thought that he had disappeared from the planet earth,
    Yes Glen no fish up there some fella by the name of Greg catches them all LOL
    Hope you been well glen
    Cheers Dave

Hi lads, We were up there at Easter in April so the gutter is probably changed in the past 6 weeks, we only had a little 4.75mt tinny with a 60hp, was a nice little protected gutter between waddy lodge and the headland, we used this 2 hours either side of low up to full tide and was great, the opening was between two spits, that was about 8 metres wide, we just sat and watched it on day one, and then marked the track on the way out and stuck to the track each time, hard too see when coming back in on the back of a wave, but was a breeze to sit on a wave bum and then a quick left turn between the spits into the gutter and all safe and sound...some of the pro baots launched beside the headland but without a tractor your 4x4 would be in a bit of water to retrieve if not half tide in at least,, the sharks killed us,,, we never got a fish over 3kg in the boat, but we ony fished upto 50mts and 9mile from waddy...hooked heaps, but the sharks took all the good ones, plenty of 2kg parrot on most spots just drifting about 5 mile out. We seen another boat full of diver lads launch infront of Waddy lodge in the gutter most days and they would take off towards Orchid beach way flat out and jump a wave or two down near old Connors corner to skip over the spit which seemed to work for them, and they would come straight in to that gutter on the back of a wave in the afternoon, We had a tow vehicle ready on every retrieve and needed it twice with our little boat...as always, we had a great time over there with the family to remake some new memories as it had been 7 years since the last Fishing comp which was our last time to Fraser. We had 6 days out of 14 to fish for our 2 weeks and came home with a nice feed as usual, but did not get the big red photos as previous due to the sharks taking all our good fish in close... Hope you lads have a good time,...the eastern beach was good then, but not sure how it is now after this weeks wild weather...Cheers Kev.

I have a couple of photos I took of the gutters/bay from the headland but they are now 2 months old so have probably changed a lot, if you want me to send them, just drop me a line 0408 848 564. Regards Kev.

Thanks again for the info fellas. Yeah boys,, I am still around and still ploughing the ocean in the Sea-submarine- Farer, (BYO raincoats) . Fraser always throws out the challenge but it is always worth the effort for the good times, great fishing and the best memories.

Starting to explore the deeper stuff a bit now and am going to try and catch my first Blue Eye or Hapooka this trip. I am sure they will live up there somewhere. Just fitted off a Furuno 295 to help with that, now I've, just got to work out how to get the best out of it so I can find them.

Hopefully the weather on the weekend hasn't filled in the gutter, bit of luck it may have carved it out a bit more.