Thread: Wooli NSW

Wooli NSW

I've all but given up on trying to get to 1770 for the last month or two so did a quick trip to Wooli on the NSW north coast last week chasing spotties.
    Not having caught them before and not knowing the area was a challenge but turned out OK. Plenty of slimies and a flat bar was a good start on day 1. When in Rome copy the locals and I ended up with some nice spotties, a 20kg longtail, a couple of mack tuna and a Spanish for the day, day 2 and similar result although a few less fish. Day 3 and I was met at the inside of the river bar just before daylight by several boats heading back to the ramp, not a good sign! Plenty of white water across the narrow entrance was the reason. I sat back watching for 15, maybe 20 minutes and now that it was a bit lighter, picked a lull in the swells and punched out. I tried something different and went wide hoping to get a few pearlies. Found some nice ground and gave it a shot, to my surprise came up with a 15kg jew out of 70m of water, didn't see that coming. Tried and tried for another but with raging current it all became too hard and went back for a couple more mackerel. Day 4 I left for Coffs Harbour and got to sea at gentlemans hours to Sth Solitary Island where I've done well in the past. Trolled slimies and lures for zip so anchored near the island and bagged out on snapper one after the other, nothing big but good fun fishing light with a kingy and moses perch thrown in. I was pretty satisfied by this stage so packed up and headed back to the ramp and the depressing trip home. The bad news is, now I'm even keener to get up to 1770 where the real fish live.

Re: Wooli NSW

Always good to be out on the water no matter wher it is mate ... I drove down to Sydney last week from the Gold Coast and stopped over night at south west rocks haven't been there since I was a kid and will definitely be returning there with the boat in tow next time
    ...........GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO BAIT.........

I'm hearing you. I've been trying to get to 1770 for the last 2 months but it seems to be flat during the week and rough on weekends. Good that you still got out, my boats been in the shed ready since early May.

Yep frustrating with roster and weather not getting together. Just heard from a mate keen to go so might try to do 1770 in the next couple of weeks. Prolly be a 50/50 spearing and fishing trip.

You have to love Wooli. Fantastic neck of the woods for some great snapper.