Thread: Nth west again

Nth west again

Our latest video from north west island. Hope you enjoy!!! 🍻

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Re: Nth west again

Great trip mate.
    Im heading up there for two weeks in August. Can't wait.

What at areas did you fish while you were there?

thanks rob

Quote Originally Posted by rtp1984 View Post
    Great trip mate.
    Im heading up there for two weeks in August. Can't wait.

What at areas did you fish while you were there?

thanks rob
    We fished around Broomfields, north west and a bit out at Douglas shoals. Let us know when you come up and I might be able to swing you a few areas to look at if you haven't been here before.

Still one of the greatest places on earth - I need to organise another trip for this year. It's been 1.5 years since I've been there and I'm getting twitchy.
    Brett

I think Jeff is still chasing a bloke or two for this year Brett...

Quote Originally Posted by bugman View Post
    Still one of the greatest places on earth - I need to organise another trip for this year. It's been 1.5 years since I've been there and I'm getting twitchy.
    Brett
    Yeah man! I get all nervous before we go out there, and when u first catch a glimpse of the island on the way out the whole boat turns into little school kids!!! Haha. Yelling, screaming and high fiving each other lol.
    We've never been disappointed going out there! Even when the weather turns to shit!

Hi Ringy,
    Love the footage mate, just finished watching both. I'm going to get to n/w asap. We've been out to hoskyns island a number of times and stayed overnight on the boat inside surrounding reef.
    Very keen to do n/w. Can you help me out with a couple of things please, can you only come across the reef to the island in certain places and how long either side of the high tide do you have to come across the reef. I assume its like hoskyns and only accessible in certain areas and on top of the tide with less than a meter of water. also no deep lagoon to anchor in and boat ends up dry on sand like in your vid, which is no problem as were a platy. Do you have any issues with bugs from nesting birds camping on the island, I know I couldn't camp on hoskyns for them ( and before anyone starts its against the law.) a starting waypoint for crossing the reef to the island would be much appreciated.
    Good on you Ringy keep the vids coming.
    Love the bunker group!!!
    Kev.

Hey Kev. I can answer a couple of them.
    There is a gap in the reef (sort of) that used to be the rail track for the bird poo. It has a marker next to it on the northern side of the island. Just hug the marker on the western side, and your in.
    We get in and out around 2 hours either side of the high. Even then, it's very skinny water.
    The whole lagoon is dry at low.
    We camp on the island for 2-3 weeks at a time, and had no issues with illness that I am aware of, even though there are a lot of birds. Mind you, you have to be a pretty strong bug to survive in our blood while we are there.
    But ill say it again, there are a lot of birds. The noise from them chatting is constant. And I haven't even been there when the muttons turn up.

Thanks
    rob

Fantastic thanks Rob, Thought I could see some sort of channel in one of Ringy's vids when they were leaving the island. Don't know if you know Hoskyns island a bit futher south in group but similar sort of shallow water entrance all be it with out the deep water lagoon inside, and much smaller island. Birds go all night in there too.as I said explored that a few times with family time to go a bit further afield. I'm sure they'll appreciate not having to sleep, eat, cook on cramped boat. We're a bit closer to 1770 than most on here so even worth it for only a night or two. Can't wait.
    Thanks Again Rob
    Kev.

Hi Kev,cheers for the msg mate. And thanks Rob for answering all the questions! I was a bit slow to get back on here sorry......
    Rob has pretty much hit the nail on the head with everything! There is a little channel marker pole (More like a stick poked into the sand) on the north western side of the island. its not so much of a channel more just a clearing of most of the rocks and reef for the trip in. The trip in the last video was on a spring tide so we pretty comfortably got back onto the island 2.5 hrs after the change of the high but our normal rule of thumb is not longer then 2 hours after. this come about after getting a bit excited one night and missing the tide,,,,,,,,,, none of us have ever been crook from out there apart from self inflicted!!! and take ear plugs to sleep in to cut out the bird chatter.
    as for the entry mark ill chase that one up and get it to you as soon as i can.
    and if your launching from gladstone take care if going out through the north entrance... can be a bit of a maze getting though there.
    cheers mate

Yeah thanks ringy, not to worried about getting sick more bird fleas/ticks don't seem to be a problem the birds, apart from noise. would leave from 1770 I think, like to travel the ocean rather than HI way
    How far from gladdy? 1 1/2 hours on a good day by the sounds of it so 35n/m?? must be around 50 mile from 1770. Might have to get in boat and measure it today.
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by KEMEL K View Post
    Yeah thanks ringy, not to worried about getting sick more bird fleas/ticks don't seem to be a problem the birds, apart from noise. would leave from 1770 I think, like to travel the ocean rather than HI way
    How far from gladdy? 1 1/2 hours on a good day by the sounds of it so 35n/m?? must be around 50 mile from 1770. Might have to get in boat and measure it today.
    Kev
    Hey kev, sorry I didn't see that last post... with a fully loaded boat the quickest we've got there from gladdy is a touch under 2 hours and the longest it's taken has been 3 and a half, that wasn't very enjoyable.... lol
    We're not in the biggest and quickest boat though