Thread: travelling to Mud Island advice

Question travelling to Mud Island advice

So I am 21 years old and relatively inexperienced when it comes to boating. I have owned my 4.4m fibreglass runabout powered by a 30hp tohatsu for 6 months and have taken it around Shorncliffe, nudgee and the brisbane river and I am hoping to head out to mud island in the near future. I have installed a bilge pump, lights and have brought flares, V-sheet life jackets. I am just looking for some advice and some peoples experiences heading to mud island. Also i live on the northside so would prefer launch from nudgee as it is a better boat ramp (well not since they removed to pontoon) to pinkenba. What is peoples experiences with both and what one is safer?

Boat is pictures in profile picture.

Thank you
    darcy

Re: travelling to Mud Island advice

G'day

Winds under 10 kts to make it comfortable and if the tide is running in with a northerly, it'll be a hell of a lot nicer than when it runs out, especially if it's a big one.
    That's pretty much it. Make sure your engine and gear is in good condition, and if in doubt don't go out.

Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

what would you say about a westerly?

Nudgee is a good place to launch and I wouldnt bother going the extra distance to Pinkenba. It's pretty much the same distance on the water anyway, just from Nudgee it's further through the actual bay.

As said above, under 10 knots is what you want, but if it blows up to 15kn it wont really be dangerous, just uncomfortable. Just drive to the conditions. If it blows up, or is rougher then expected, just put along at low speed.

Yes it's a big open bay and can get rough, but it's not really as daunting as you can build up in your head. Look for a forecast under 10kn and get out there.

Attachment 113241
    Swing a bit wider as in route 1 rather bee-line as in route 2, gets very shallow accorss the from of the airport