Thread: Brisbane river 21/5

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Thumbs up Brisbane river 21/5

Went out reasonably early last Saturday morning, launched at fisherman’s island ramp and got some livies. Managed a few nice prawns, some average mullet, some nice silver biddies and a cuttlefish, first time getting a cuttlefish in the cast net.
    Anchored up at the port and deployed 2 biddies on a paternoster, 1 prawn on a running ball rig and the cuttlefish on a snelled rig.
    After about 3hrs of catfish and shovel nose sharks taking the prawns, I got a run on the silver biddies. Unfortunately, had wind and current against each other so was pretty much fishing beside the anchor. The fish went around and around the rope.... managed to get it to the surface to see a healthy threadfin that looked around the 110cm mark before the top hook in the rig sunk into the anchor rope, watched the salmon throw its head and dislodge the circle hook... Good release.
    This season I have been nailing the threadfin on silver biddies, haven't used a single herring.
    At this stage was out of prawns, so silver biddy went on the running ball rig and a silver biddy and mullet went down on the paternoster.
    Waited another 45minutes before the paternoster went off, after a decent fight a 106cm silver prize surfaced. The Jew had nailed the mullet, it went about 9kg.
    Packed up and went home happy then.

On a side note, got my bucket of nice prawns on the 18th off Nudgee and nearly a bucket this morning off Nudgee again, hard work though.

Re: Brisbane river 21/5

Great result. Interesting that you get hits on the biddies. I've never had any luck on them in the nearby creeks and rivers of north Bris. They go well up north, but have never had action on them in Bris.

Cuzza

They are a pretty hardy bait and always seem to be swimming strong. I never used to keep them until one day I couldn't get anything else except the biddies and got some good fish off them.

Was it just the Brissy River you've had luck on them? Yeah, they stay alive for hours - I know, 'cos they haven't attracted a single fish for me in Bris.

Cuzza

Have only realy got a consistent spot to get them in the Brisbane river so thats pretty much the only place I use them.