Thread: ganging hooks for trout

ganging hooks for trout

Hi all,
    I have been ganging mustard big guns using swivels for a while and always have a few snap the eye off when opening. seems the latest boxes are especially prone to fracturing no matter what I do, heat them up, use side cutters to open and of course those pliers specific for the job. even tried larger and smaller sizes only to have about a 25% failure rate, so its getting a bit expensive.I'm Using 7/0 up to 10/0 for trout fishing. I've noticed on other reports guys using these, http://www.future.petackle.com.au/in...20_pack-detail . Are these less prone to break? Now I know PE do a 3 ganged hook rig using swivels and at the current failure rate of the big guns are a viable option $ wise, but I prefer to only gang 2 hooks not 3. I notice they also do a open eye hook for rigging yourself, has anyone had experience with these?? Any thoughts?
    Thanks Kev

Re: ganging hooks for trout

I've been using the petackle salt water tailer hooks in 7/0 for a few years now and have ganged upwards of 700 hooks in that time and would most likely have had less then 20 hooks in total snap the eyelets when opening.

Just my opinion i went Gamakatsu Big Bait not mustards big gun for similar ganging and didnt have the problem, i had the same problem for the big guns you had even heating them, was losing 1 out of 3 to breaks, tried the pe tackles once and not again, just my experience,
    Tangles KFC

yeah tangles even heating the latest batches of these hooks up isn't working. more feed back from others appreciated.

so marto the tailer hooks are ok. anyone ganged the BFG's??? prefer this style hook over the tailer

I use the pre ganged bfg hooks.
    They are great.
    Went to them for the same reason of the big guns breaking.

As as for the single bfg's, sorry but no experience.

Thanks
    rob

Buying 6/0, 7/0 & 8/0's in Big Guns & had huge problem with the 6/0, 100% breakage.

Took them back & was told they can't be ganged, something about carbon............

7/0 about 1 in 20 breakage but zero breakage in the 8/0

Tony

Cheers tony, I've always had problems with 6/0 breaking,usually only gang 8/0 last 3 boxs all bought at same time fracturing 25/30% at least (not keen to count all the broken ones)
    yeah rob seen the prerigged, but I prefer a 2 hook gang.

Kemel,

ring Sean from PE tackle mate he will make you two hook rigs if you ask him mate.. Especially if you buy a bulk order mate..

Perfect Bannana, got Sean's card in a small order I received on Friday. I'll give him a call. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KEMEL K View Post
    yeah tangles even heating the latest batches of these hooks up isn't working. more feed back from others appreciated.

so marto the tailer hooks are ok. anyone ganged the BFG's??? prefer this style hook over the tailer
    I like the tailer hooks mate and usually gang 2 or 3 together depending on the size of the baits.