Thread: Do the Chinese make a decent fishing reel?

Do the Chinese make a decent fishing reel?

Hi all,
    does anyone know if the Chinese actually make a decent fishing reel? If they do what is it?
    Thanks
    Ralph

Re: Do the Chinese make a decent fishing reel?

Most reels are made in China Fin-nor Penn most Shimano not so much where its made more so what price point

As Shooter said, It all depends on price point. Most reels are now made in asian countries, including the well-known brands, I'd say that the bigger brands exercise a higher degree of quality control on materials used, and specify certain grades of metals to be used, whereas the lesser-known brands, (whilst more than likely produced in the same factories), aren't as fussy, and may be inclined to cut corners by using inferior materials. Think plastic or low-grade metal for gears, non-stainless bearings, etc...This is naturally reflected in their prices.

That said, it would also depend on what you want to use the reel for. If it was for mullet, whiting;flatties and the like on light line, a cheaper reel will probably serve you for many years with decent maintenance.
    I have a couple of Shimano FX 2500's I use as lender reels, and with a splash of fresh water and a quick lube after each use, have lasted over 15 years! At $20 each, that's pretty good value!
    However, using a cheaper reel for bigger fish which can really pull - I think you'd be lucky if it lasted a good day on the water.

My ABU 6500 copy worked well for years. Just had to watch the salt water and wash it and oil.
    I think it was about $30, Doesn't matter if it drops over the side..........
    randell

You'll be surprised at how many reels are made in the same Chinese factory & badge engineered !

It just depends on the pricepoint & the componentry used ........ roll the dice stuff .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

My ABUs say "Made in Sweden" and cost a tank of fuel more than the knock offs....I love them.