Thread: No Tail or Brake Lights

No Tail or Brake Lights

G'day,

Anyone know what else the problem could be? Just wanna see if there's anything more I can check before taking her in to the mechanic.

The fuses and bulbs are ok, as is the rear number plate light. Vehicle is '89 GQ Patrol.

Thanks in advance.

Cuzza

Re: No Tail or Brake Lights

Are the dash lights working? Mate of mine had the same prob with no brake/tail lights but also had no dash lights and it was a problem in the switch. Don't ask me why the brake lights didn't work but, woulda thought they were on a seperate circuit...
    check your cars trailer plug wiring too, seen all sorts of issues with dodgy wiring on some plugs.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Thanks, mate. Yeah, dash lights are working, but just discovered the hazards aren't, either. And sometimes the head lights stay on after I turn them off, and I have to give a slight flick to get them off. Wondering if it is the switch in the ignition. If so, would I be able to pick one up from a store, or you reckon a wreckers job? Thanks for the help.

Cuzza

Check for shorts in the wires behind the trailer plug. I've once had some WEIRD stuff happening with lights and it just turned out to be a couple of wires were shorting behind the plug.

.......doubled up on the above reply..........

Maybe and i say maybe in your case, But i wish i had a dollar for every time i have seen somebody spend hours chasing an issue with trailer lights and it is the most simplest of fixes for those with the flat connection. People remove the plug wriggling side to side thus closing the pins up. Prying the pins back open a smidgen normally does the trick.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

I think he has problems with the car, not a trailer!!

Thanks fellas, but yeah, like Noel said, it's my actual car's lights.

Been reading about combination switches needing cleaning, so may try that. Just trying to eliminate all possibilities as I know it'll cost a bucket load from an auto elec. Bloody frustrating.

Cuzza

Also check the vehicles trailer plug wiring..
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Gave the combo switch a clean this morning - no cigar.

Bit the bullet and took her into the auto elec. Ended up charging 90 bucks. Said it was corrosion. Not too bad, I suppose.

Thanks again for the help on here.

Cuzza

Where was the corrosion Cuzza.

Gon Fishun,

He said at the back around the globes, and their connection points. Makes me wonder if I should have just changed the bulbs. Maybe that might have done the trick. Dunno. Either way it wasn't TOO bad in terms of the money hit so I'm ok with it.

Cuzza