Thread: BIG Reds

BIG Reds

Anyone out there feel like sharing some hints and tips on catching red emporer...
    What sort of ground, baits, rigs, times etc.... what works best for you??
    we have no dramas catching nanagai, trout and all the other reefies but just can crack the red code!!!! Any input would be good

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Re: BIG Reds

Search for posts by "Banana", he very generously shares his tips for red's

Where are you fishing?

In gladstone mate.
    heading to northwest island in 7 hours and 43 minutes..... not like I'm counting down or anything!!! Lol

Big baits is key. Same ground you are catching nannies should see catching reds.
    Baits just need to be big enough that the nannies and what ever else can't eat it before mr red does.
    Although I've had my best red sessions on live yakkas. Anything to stop the smaller fish eating your baits to fast.

Just google "Greg Lamprecht big red emperor" you will find all the info you could ever want and some!

He knows them better than anyone in the game!

Or by his DVDs. He even gives you GPS marks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mate I'm in Gladstone too. My two go to Red Marks are inside( west) of the major reef systems. Both are about 35m, one on rubble the other being fern country. I like to use whole flicker mullet or big oily slab baits. Before my current boat I used to fish both locations from a 4.5m tinny. Good luck.

Thanks for the tips everyone.
    We got back yesterday after a few solid days of fishing and a very rough trip home! And we did finally crack the red code!!!!!
    We fished water a bit deeper then we usually do... about the 30-40 meter mark and fished the isolated reefs away from the main structures we had previously been fishing. It was a bit of a learning curve out there, trying to change it up a bit and not fish the usual way we had been. The marks on the sounder we fished were alot smaller then usual. We concentrated more on the little areas with only a few arches/blotches on the screen and not as much coral to try and stay away from the pickers and were very surprised with what was coming off them!
    We had stored away a few squid heads from past trips that produced results on each drop and strip baited iodine bream was working a treat as well, they were pretty thick out there so we were catching and upgrading everyone one of them.
    We found the best time we caught the reds was about 1 hour each side of any tide..
    The final red count was only 4 keepers around 6-7kgs but we released a good half a dozen 1-2cm undersized and lost count of the the little rats we threw back! So the next step now is to find the monsters out there!
    We scored a few other fish on the trip... Few Spaniards (one 15kg model), spangleds, sweet lip, parrots and a few other little pickers. I've got a few pics I'll put up later when I drag them off the gopro.
    Cheers 🎣🎣

As promised and a bit late due to telstra being a bunch of dicks and not having Internet for the last week... Here's the footage from our trip when we finally cracked the red code!!! Lol
    Crack a beer and check it out!!!

Brilliant footage Ringy. You should really post this in the offshore section as well. There is not too many quality posts anymore and yours is a beauty. A question for you. That Yammy does not look brand new. What was the fuel burn on the trip just out of interest. Thanks for posting. Good times and a great memory for you and your mates.

Therapy...

PS. Well done on the bird rescue.

Enjoyed that. Well done mate.

Cheers guys, It's an awesome way to re-live the trip!! Can't wait to get back out there!
    The old yammy loves a drink!! Everywhere we go we always allow 1km a litre... I don't think we've ever burnt that though....
    The boat holds 240l and we stuffed 6 jerrys in there and come back with one full one and a bit under half the sub tank... sooooo I we went through about 280l... we would of done about 300km over the 3 days and spent alot of time fishing with the motor running due to a lost reef pick and flat batteries on the electric motor...

Some big smiles there fellas and for good reason. Looks like a good trip was had by all. And nice bit of PR work untangling that turn. Well done.