Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recreational angling in in the firing line.

Recreational angling in in the firing line.

This was sent out by VRFish today.

Breaking news....VRFish has been verbally notified at the AFMA RecFishing Forum in Canberra today that recreational fishing has been nominated as a key threatening process under the EPBC Act. We had to check the calendar to see if it was the 1st of April. Regrettably, it's not. A similar nomination was made in 2012 and it was rejected by the Federal Environment Minister.
    A new public consultation process will now be triggered. We understand that fishers around the nation will have lots questions and comments about this news. Please feel free to share them and we will do our best to get some answers.
    It's extremely disappointing to see the anti-fishing community put up an ambit claim to stop recreational fishing, one of our most popular national pastimes.
    We were notified at an AFMA meeting by the staff member from the Environment Department.
    We are very fortunate in Victoria to have Jaala Pulford MP, Minister responsible for fisheries and the Andrews Government who want to grow recreational fishing in recognition of the massive social and economic benefits.
    Rest assured VRFish will work with our State and national colleagues to make sure this nonsensical proposal is unsuccessful. It is also worth noting that AFMA do not have a role in this issue.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Re: Recreational angling in in the firing line.

ya just gotta love the greens - it would be funny only it isnt !!!
    cheers

This is one of the reasons, love them or hate them, we need to stand unified alongside professional fisherman. The more we sit and throw stones at each other, the easier it becomes for these green clowns ( who may not even reside in Australia - look at where the proposal to close the Coral Sea came from ) to have a crack at us.

Just try not to give em a leg in the door. And yes agree about being unified .

Next on their agenda will be to ban football, just don't understand their logic.

Nominated by who exactly?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

They're not saying Lovey, and apparently they never will.
    Dale

who is they?

Sounds like something that PEW would dream up.
    Nothing on VRFish website but then looks like it has not been updated since last year.
    Very vague as its written
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    who is they?
    They is VRFish.
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by rayken1938 View Post
    Sounds like something that PEW would dream up.
    Nothing on VRFish website but then looks like it has not been updated since last year.
    Very vague as its written
    Cheers
    Ray
    It's on their Facebook page Ray.
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    This is one of the reasons, love them or hate them, we need to stand unified alongside professional fisherman. The more we sit and throw stones at each other, the easier it becomes for these green clowns ( who may not even reside in Australia - look at where the proposal to close the Coral Sea came from ) to have a crack at us.
    I don't disagree with you as such, but think they should stop the export of fish before rec limits should be reduced further.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    It's on their Facebook page Ray.
    I am missing something here

Quote Originally Posted by AB
    VRFish has been verbally notified at the AFMA RecFishing Forum in Canberra today that recreational fishing has been nominated as a key threatening process under the EPBC Act
    VR fish has been notified by a Rec fishing forum in Canberra. Ok great, but who is it that receives nominations into the EPBC Act? Is it the federal EPA or what ever it is called these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Next on their agenda will be to ban football, just don't understand their logic.
    I'd support a ban on football if push came to shove, but fishing will see my gut hooks come out........
    Jack.

I've found a paragraph that may have been left out of the notice. Not 100% sure but this could be what they are targeting.

"For this reason we have chosen to focus this key threatening process nomination on recreational fishing that is competition game fishing, especially fishing for sharks, tuna and marlins. All other forms of recreational fishing are excluded. Hereafter in this nomination, this type of fishing will be simply referred to as ‘recreational fishing’."
    Dale