Thread: miya epoch reels

miya epoch reels

hey guys anyone using miya epoch reels? im looking at reels in the vicinity of $1200 and they caught my eye. How easy is it to get spare parts or service, this is a main concern. anyone have any feedback on how they compare to daiwa or shimano stuff in the same price range? going to be used in the 300m range for bar cod etc. kristals are a little bit too expensive atm.

cheers simon

Re: miya epoch reels

Very good reels, don't know about parts or repairs, never needed them ..yet! My son has one of those "Plays 9000" that seems pretty good too, used it heaps now for similar depths and deeper with very big sinkers without a problem, one thing is certain though, get a super rod holder, well reinforced and a bent butt rod and use it in the rod holder, even though you are not winding, just holding the rod is hard work, and flimsy rod holders will end in tears.

Quote Originally Posted by BayDog View Post
    hey guys anyone using miya epoch reels? im looking at reels in the vicinity of $1200 and they caught my eye. How easy is it to get spare parts or service, this is a main concern. anyone have any feedback on how they compare to daiwa or shimano stuff in the same price range? going to be used in the 300m range for bar cod etc. kristals are a little bit too expensive atm.

cheers simon
    Great reels - I have a couple of antique ones that still work great.
    Solas guys are local agents and larry is Miya epoch trained and they carry parts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Very good reels, don't know about parts or repairs, never needed them ..yet! My son has one of those "Plays 9000" that seems pretty good too, used it heaps now for similar depths and deeper with very big sinkers without a problem, one thing is certain though, get a super rod holder, well reinforced and a bent butt rod and use it in the rod holder, even though you are not winding, just holding the rod is hard work, and flimsy rod holders will end in tears.

Yeah ill definately be fishing from the holder. I've decided to go with a miya epoch at5. $1100 delivered with 700m of 90 lb, 10 ball bearings and its faster than the daiwa. Now I just need to learn Japanese...