Thread: Noosa close reefs

Noosa close reefs

Just a quick update from the weekend fishing out of Noosa, mostly sunshine/jew shoal and both halls reefs.

The Bar is looking the best it has since i moved here over 2 years ago, the best approach is to stick close to the sandbags along the dog beach and then look for the channel that runs about half way across the dog beach outwards the rock wall and coastguard tower and then cross the bar at the northern end, the swell was non existent over the weekend so full speed crossings were the ticket.

Sunshine reef fished well for sweetlip towards the bottom of the falling tide and the tusk fish/trout came on as the tide rose again with a flat spot across the low and approaching the high. flesh baits floated down with little to no led worked best while the bottom rigs mostly attracted smaller tusk fish and the usual vermin.

Jew shoal was full of undersizes cod and reds with no legal fish seen or surface action, i would avoid unless you see birds of fancy a night stop off.

halls and little halls had plenty of long tail and even a few late season macs running above and below the surface, they wouldn't touch trace but heavy mono and live Yakka tempted the buggers, although mono didn't stand up well to the teeth some fish were happy to come to the boat. The bottom saw some just undersized sweetlip and the usual small stuff with only one legal reefy coming up to play.

All in all the close reefs aren't exactly firing but we came home with 10-15 fish although no real standouts and the weather and bar conditions were just perfect.

hope you lot had just as much fun.

Re: Noosa close reefs

When i was up the beach last week , i was over at north shore, wayching tinnies go out.
    They headed straight from channel at tip noosa , to northshore side then followed the shoreline out to open water.

thats the way, a bit of a dogleg at the moment, go through the dog beach to the rock wall and then over towards north shore and follow it along north away untill the channel open up, an easy crossing but a lot of people are still getting caught out getting to the bar as the old channel past the frying pan is silted right up and the dog beach one isn't immediately obvious. although the channel through the bar hasn't changed a great deal its a bit further north then it was and theres a massive sand bar/island right in the middle with one or two false channels leading to it that can catch people out when crossing back in.

Yeah i have never been across it but on low tide u can see all the banks and up the middle could be very dangerous.
    I was virtually a straight line from the mainland straight over to north shore. U need to do that dogleg along the noosa side then straight over?
    It was interesting wathing tinnies going out , flat strap.

yup, when heading from the boat ramp tot the bar you go from mid river over to the noosa side (dog beach) run up the rock wall on the noosa side and then head strait over towards the north shore side untill you clear the sand pile in the middle, run a little further up the beach before heading out over the bar. For all the bad wrap that bar crossing gets its actually far more problematic getting to the bar then actually crossing it.

I agree airlock. The bar is the easy bit. It's getting from the ramp to the mouth that is proving to be the biggest challenge.
    Last week 3 of us came in within a minute or 2, all crossed the bar easy & then going from the rock wall back to dog beach we all hit the sand, the other 2 having to cut a channel with motors trimmed high.
    Never a dull moment in Noosa!!

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    I agree airlock. The bar is the easy bit. It's getting from the ramp to the mouth that is proving to be the biggest challenge.
    Last week 3 of us came in within a minute or 2, all crossed the bar easy & then going from the rock wall back to dog beach we all hit the sand, the other 2 having to cut a channel with motors trimmed high.
    Never a dull moment in Noosa!!
    Tony, you need to go out more so you can dredge your own channel

Did Juna let you drive again????????

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Sounds like it...........

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    Tony, you need to go out more so you can dredge your own channel
    Lurker............

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    You think she'd know by now !!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    Sounds like it...........
    Oh, come on guys...............

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Oh, come on guys...............
    And.......there it is. The phrase we have come to know and love. Sorry Tony, you're a soft target I know but I just can't help myself.

well someones gotta dredge the dam thing, if you can do it at the expense of a few props i'm sure the rest of us will be grateful. you know things are getting out of hand when you see the coastguard boat come to a grinding halt. always an entertaining show to be found on the river.