Thread: Anyone heading out through the wide bay bar on Saturday

Anyone heading out through the wide bay bar on Saturday

Gday all, Planning on doing my first run out through wide bay bar and fishing wide of Fraser. I have got the relevant GPS marks for cross and looking at heading out Saturday and back in with the full tide on Sunday. I am hoping plenty of boats will be heading out just so I can either follow or take notes accordingly. If anyone is heading out, be great if you could let me know and I tag along. Being the first trip just want to be safer than sorry and the swell looks manageable on these two day. Local knowledge has already told me the bar looks manageable so I will give it a crack!

And don't worry, once I am out, I will be going to my own fishing spots!!!

Re: Anyone heading out through the wide bay bar on Saturday

Hi NF,
    we will be going north Sunday, sry. aiming for O/N up near roonies...2nd water test for Mary K, so need to stay with in arms reach of sand until we are happy. Should plenty boats around, sat. bit choppy at this stage but should be fine. Good luck hope u get heaps scales on board
    Cheers,
    Chong

Quote Originally Posted by No Fear View Post
    Gday all, Planning on doing my first run out through wide bay bar and fishing wide of Fraser. I have got the relevant GPS marks for cross and looking at heading out Saturday and back in with the full tide on Sunday. I am hoping plenty of boats will be heading out just so I can either follow or take notes accordingly. If anyone is heading out, be great if you could let me know and I tag along. Being the first trip just want to be safer than sorry and the swell looks manageable on these two day. Local knowledge has already told me the bar looks manageable so I will give it a crack!

And don't worry, once I am out, I will be going to my own fishing spots!!!
    being next door neighbours ( Rochedale sth ) I should put my 2 cents worth in

When you log onto the Coast Guard at Tin Can Bay... VMR417, ( VHF 80 or 82 ) ask them for the co-ords for the crossing. Plot them in before you hit the bar... depends on where you leave from. Tin Can Bay ramp is the best, IMO.

Always remember there is an outter bank... so once you are through the bar proper, keep an eye ahead.... it's a sneaky sand bar.... the waves don't usually break but they do stand up.

and here is the forecast for the area you'll be fishing in.

Saturday 5/14
    MorningBreezy whitecapping conditions with moderate choppy seas. Small short period wind waves.

Winds: ESE 12 to 16 knots.
    Seas: E 0.9 meters at 8 seconds.

AfternoonBreezy whitecapping conditions with moderate choppy seas. Small short period wind waves.

Winds: SE 11 to 15 knots.
    Seas: E 1.0 meters at 8 seconds.

Sunday 5/15
    MorningLight winds with a slight chop. Small short period wind waves.

Winds: ESE 8 to 10 knots.
    Seas: ENE 0.9 meters at 7 seconds.

AfternoonLight winds with a slight chop. Small short period wind waves.

Winds: SE 6 to 9 knots.
    Seas: ENE 0.9 meters at 7 seconds.

In those conditions, the bar will be quite workable.

Good Luck

Cheers LP
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 12-05-2016 at 08:39 PM. Reason: added info
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Awesome, thanks Phil.
    Hopefully Saturday stays relatively calm but will have another look in the morning. No swell is really beneficial but was hoping wind kept below 15 knots Saturday, with Sunday looking ok.

Will see what happens but thanks again