Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bent skeg

Bent skeg

Hey,

I have been chasing the cause of my boat leaning to the left for some time now and I think i may have found it. The skeg is bent to the right about 5-6mm, i have no idea when or how this has happened but it is the only thing I can find that may cause the lean.

Can I have this bent back ? - i would get someone who knows what they are doing, weather it be needed heating or something else I'm not sure. the rest of the motor is fine it just the bottom part of the skeg.

Motor is a Yamaha 200hp V6 2008 4 stroke.

any advice or experience would be great and ill try and get a photo.

Sam

Re: Bent skeg

Can probably bend it back, not too sure it is your problem though! lots of motors have the skeg bent heaps, or snapped right off with no effect on boat leaning.

Ditto to Noel's comments. Most boats will lean in one direction or another. Had a similar problem with my Haines but solved it with trim tabs.
    Duck

Yeah i understand there should be some lean but this is excessive, I do have trim tabs that i can use to fix the issue but it is not ideal. I have to have the trim tab at about 1/3 and then this causes the boat to over compensate when travelling over swell. it seems to throw the boat off balance when nearing the top and if i ever get a little bit of air it throws it all out of line.

the steering is also harder one way compared to another.

Has another straightened a skeg, my fear is it may snap right off or crack if not done correctly

Straightened lots of them, just a block of wood and tap back straight, it might snap, that's a chance you take, that said, I have never snapped one while straightening, make sure the little trim fin is not set way out and causing issues.

Ok I might even have a bit of play with it and see if I can get some movement out of it.
    I have played around with the trim fin and it made no difference at all.

I also doubt it's the skeg causing the problems, I've belted a couple straight over the years only because I couldn't live with looking at them.
    At least if it's straight it takes it out of the steering equation.

Boat?
    Prop?
    WOT RPM?
    Steering system?
    Which way is the steering harder?
    Checked for hooked hull?
    Played with motor T&T?
    Played with weight balance?
    Meaningful pictures, maybe include holding a ruler against the skeg?

Don't want to sound draconian Sam but some more facts will get you better answers.

I to thought it wouldn't be the reason but its about the only things left to check so to tick it off would be helpfull.

Boat? Barcrusher 640WR
    Prop? standard stainless steel item
    WOT RPM? 5800-6000 and the motor seems to be at the right height
    Steering system? hydraulic
    Which way is the steering harder? harder to turn the wheel anti clockwise- which is weird because the skeg is bent to the right
    Checked for hooked hull? hooked?
    Played with motor T&T? i sure have and the leaning is a lot less with the motor trimmed right out and the steerings gets light in both direction. And i mean right out which will cavitate whenever a turn is made so this is not a feasible option. I have also played with the trim fin and at full direction either way it made no difference.
    Played with weight balance? i have removed most things from the boat and it make no different, if i have 2 people on board we both need to stand on the drivers side for it to level out.
    Meaningful pictures, maybe include holding a ruler against the skeg? planning to get some when I get home.

Don't want to sound draconian Sam but some more facts will get you better answers. I happy to provide as much information as needed if people believe it is not the skeg and may be able to point me in a different direction. But i still want to straightened the skeg to eliminate it.

thanks for your help, its appreciated.

Is your boat a Bar Crusher? From memory there have been previous posts about these boats leaning to one side....not sure why that is but might be worth investigating.

Beat me to it....

im assuming you checked to see if there is water in your left hand side air chamber? or water getting in for that matter?
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Yeah it is
    I have had it for about a year now and I never noticed it the start. it was brought second hand.

I have just done some reading and I think I also need to get the straight end out and double check a few areas.

and yes all chambers are empty and water tight. unless there is a way that water could be stuck in there?

does the boat sit flat at rest. that would eliminate water in one side?

As far as i can see it sits flat on the water.

all seems fine until i reach low planning speeds up to about 40kmh and then if motor is trimmed right out the lean will almost disappear.