Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charter boat on fire and sinking off Lady Musgrave

Re: Charter boat on fire and sinking off Lady Musgrave

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    You would need the GPS mark first.....
    that is why we have you posted there ozynorts and a beer slush fund should be heading your way shortly
    happy days ahead summer is coming

well done ozynorts and all the VMR and emergency services for ensuring all were safe, hats off to ya
    what a sad sad AB

Scary stuff.
    Excuse my ignorance but with a boat like this, what's it aluminium or steel? and if so does the heat from the fire melt it? Ie how does a boat like this sink when it's made from these materials. I suppose there would be rubber seals through the hull where the prop shafts are.. That would do it?

It's only 40m on the inside of the reef, so it shouldn't be to hard to find?

As I said excuse my ignorance.

That boat is aluminium and when the alloy reaches a certain temperature it becomes highly flammable and burns like everything else.

Any metal will melt if hot enough and ali is a relatively soft metal. By the time we got out there you could see holes in the side of the hull where the fire was burning through. Once the fire burnt low enough and the water from the nearly 2m swell started splashing in the holes and filling the hull it would go down all right. Prior to abandoning ship the crew reported it as sinking so it must have started taking on water somewhere.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    That boat is aluminium and when the alloy reaches a certain temperature it becomes highly flammable and burns like everything else.
    Burns a bit different - bloody near impossible to put it out. Bit odd it got to this stage on a commercial vessel. The fire monitoring and suppression on our tugs is checked monthly if not fortnightly. The fire may have damaged the raw water inlets in the engine room if it had enough intensity or there were rubber hoses but once again - not normal in a commercial vessel.

The crew have said the engine exploded so who knows what happened.

Damn, I'll have to punch the sea myself without the big girl as a wave breaker to follow out now. Marine life at Musgrave will be in shock with no tourists clomping and splashing around for a while. Well done Ozy for the rescue effort.

And great effort by the skipper, crew and the authorities getting everyone ashore safely. This is why nobody should take sea survival courses lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtragic View Post
    And great effort by the skipper, crew and the authorities getting everyone ashore safely. This is why nobody should take sea survival courses lightly.
    Absolutely - specially the fire fighting component. The one I did included a couple of days at the emergency services training ground out at the Port of Brisbane - some of the best training I have ever done. Gives you a whole new respect for fire fighters and really punches home just how badly you do not want a fire at sea.

The fact that the crew were too emotional to comment to the media shows how traumatic an event like this can be. Sounds like they handled their safety and evac. procedures well. A credit to all involved. It never ceases to amaze me how complacent people can get without regular drills or at least re-familiarising ourselves on the use of safety gear and procedures. I had to assist a supervisor in our company to put on a lifejacket in a pool course a few weeks ago. When things go pear shaped at sea the situation can become critical pretty damn quick, with no time for trying to figure out where PFD straps go or where safety gear is stowed, so, even though we all probably know our own vessels pretty well it may be a good reminder to have a personal drill with your crews or at least pull all the sea survival gear out, check and re-stow it. I will be. Probably be a NTM put out about this, the location shouldn't be a problem. Be a good dive site in twelve months or so if they leave the hull there.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    It has gone down to the best of our knowledge. There is an effort now to locate it before the 1000lts of fuel still on board doesn't case a spill on the reef.
    Glad everyone got out ok. 1000l of fuel wouldn't do too much damage would it? I can't imagine getting a diver down there to open the tanks and let it rise to the surface would be too much of a problem? I would be surprised that the fuel tanks weren't breached in the fire. If it got hot enough to burn holes in a commercial ally vessel surely the fuel tanks got set off?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

And there is a bit of proof here.
    http://www.news-mail.com.au/news/spi...video/3035032/
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.