Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At last Qld SIP changes happening.

At last Qld SIP changes happening.

Media Statements

Minister for Agriculture and Fisheries
    The Honourable Leanne Donaldson
    Queensland fishers to benefit from changes to stocked impoundments
    Minister for Agriculture and Fisheries
    The Honourable Leanne Donaldson

Friday, April 22, 2016

Queensland fishers to benefit from changes to stocked impoundments

Up to an additional 46 Queensland dams, weirs and lakes could soon be part of a scheme that places millions of fingerlings into freshwater impoundments each year.
    Fisheries Minister Leanne Donaldson says the expansion of the Stocked Impoundment Permit Scheme (SIPS) will benefit anglers across the state and could help local communities cash-in on the popularity of recreational fishing.
    “Freshwater recreational fishing is big in Queensland with approximately 135,000 fishers a year wetting a line and SIPS is a highly successful scheme that helps ensure the sustainability of fish stocks,” the Minister said.
    “The 32 impoundments currently in the scheme generate annual revenue of approximately $1 million through the sale of 50,000 fishing permits.
    “This income allows stocking groups to restock the impoundments for the next season.
    “It is a virtuous circle which brings significant economic activity to local communities.
    “The Palaszczuk Government has approved an expansion of the scheme and the changes make an additional 46 dams, weirs and lakes eligible.
    Final consultation will now go ahead on which impoundments stocking groups would like to be included.”
    Minister Donaldson said in future stocking groups would be allowed to use some of the funds for projects to enhance recreational fishing in a SIPs impoundment.
    “This could be anything from better facilities to research,” the Minister said.
    “This will be a great outcome that provides support to community stocking groups in their efforts to boost recreational fishing in regional Queensland .
    “It will allow fisheries stocks to grow and prosper. The expansion will generate additional revenue and drive tourism opportunities while encouraging positive recreational fishing practices.”
    Minister Donaldson said an extensive consultation process on the scheme was undertaken which found that people were concerned with the fees changing each year.
    We are proposing to fix the permit fees for the next five years rather than adjusting every year for inflation,” Minister Donaldson said.
    Every person over the age of 18 fishing in a SIPS impoundment will need to have their own individual SIPS permit, unless they are only targeting crayfish.

ENDS
    Media Contact: [IMG]resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png[/IMG]0448 994 172

Apparently a meeting with FFSAQ on friday to sort out some issues and some groups wish to withdraw I do n0t know any more details. But at least something is moving forward after years on nothing much happening and numerous delays.
    Envisaged that will come into effect from July next year.
    Cheers
    Ray

Re: At last Qld SIP changes happening.

Did you notice that the free SIP for the spouse is gone? I've heard the pensioner discount will be in for the chop, as well as the preference tick. I hope it goes to actual surface area for distribution of the funds, Wivenhoe may get a proper percentage then. Do FFSAQ still have their hand out for $50,000.00 of the SIP funds for their office bearers?
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

With such a huge increase in the number of stocking groups that will participate in the division of the kitty I would not be surprised that some of the existing groups will in fact get less revenue per year.
    The pensioner discount is currently only $5 whilst in other states pensioners do not need a fishing license.
    Overall I believe that it is a big plus for all stocking groups in Qld and especially to the ones that stock the western rivers and the smaller dams.
    Should enhance the fishing and subsequent number of visitors the a lot of country towns .
    I have no idea as to what formula will be used to distribute the funds raised but everyone previously had the opportunity to have their input.
    Personally I would like to see the government cease taking a chop out of the funds for management fees.
    I note that they are going to fix the permit fee for 5 years but do not rule out an immediate increase in fees.
    Personally i think that overall this is long overdue with some stocking groups having had applications to join the SIP scheme for years and commend the present minister carrying on with Bill Byrnes commitment.
    "Minister Donaldson said in future stocking groups would be allowed to use some of the funds for projects to enhance recreational fishing in a SIPs impoundment.
    “This could be anything from better facilities to research,” the Minister said."

Do not know about this my personal feelings are that funds should only be spent of fingerlings.
    Cheers
    Ray

Didn't you participate in the survey Ray, one of the questions was if you agreed with FFSAQ receiving $50k per annum to keep them afloat. It seems so many groups have unsubscribed that their income wasn't enough to pay their full time, fully paid office bearer, which coincidently was the reason some groups left them.
    Dale

Yes I certainly did participate and encouraged others to do so.
    Are you or your stocking group part of the FFAQ?
    If so why not ask them?If not you will have to wait .
    Ray

Ray

thanks for sharing the email
    Cheers

Steven

No Ray, I'm not a member of FFSAQ, although if you did the review questionnaire you would have answered either yes or no to gifting $50k to them each year. They are only representing a few groups, some prefer to represent themselves.
    Dale

I'm not against some of the proposed changes however I am concerned that this government has seen a bit of a money pit and they're looking at ways of getting their hands on it.
    Dale

Actually I would prefer that the government waived their hefty management fee.
    Anyone know what the Fishing trust percentage management cost of the license fee is in NSW?
    Cheers
    Ray

There is no "License" in NSW Ray. They can't call it that down there.
    Dale

I hope we see Mangrove Jacks being introduced into areas currently infested by tilapia. I'd love to be part of such a stocking group when work allows me the time.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    There is no "License" in NSW Ray. They can't call it that down there.
    The NSW gov website call it either a license or a fee
    Search Results

When fishing in NSW waters, both freshwater and saltwater, you'll need to carry a receipt showing your payment of the Recreational Fishing Fee. This applies when spear fishing, hand lining, hand gathering, trapping, bait collecting and prawn netting or when in possession of fishing gear in, on or near these waters.

Apply for a Recreational Fishing Licence | Service NSW

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/.../apply-recreational-fishing-licence

Feedback

About this result

Recreational fishing fee - NSW Department of Primary Industries

www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/recreational-fishing-fee

When fishing in NSW waters, both freshwater and saltwater, you are required by law to ... Read our Recreational fishing licence fee exemptions page for more ...‎NSW Fishing Licence - ‎Exemptions - ‎Our agent network - ‎Saltwater fishing

Recreational fishing licence fee | NSW Department of Primary Industries

www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/licence-fee

Recreational fishing licence fee. When fishing in NSW waters, both freshwater and saltwater, you are required by law to pay the NSW Recreational Fishing Fee and carry a receipt showing the payment of the fee.‎NSW Fishing Licence - ‎Exemptions - ‎Our agent network - ‎Saltwater fishing

Apply for a Recreational Fishing Licence | Service NSW

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/.../apply-recreational-fishing-licence

When fishing in NSW waters, both freshwater and saltwater, you'll need to carry a receipt showing your payment of the Recreational Fishing Fee. This applies when spear fishing, hand lining, hand gathering, trapping, bait collecting and prawn netting or when in possession of fishing gear in, on or near these waters.

Recreational Fishing | OneGov - licence.nsw.gov.au - NSW Government

https://www.onegov.nsw.gov.au/new/categories/recreational-fishing

Apply online or Renew a NSW Recreational Fishing Licence. Find a fishing agent in your area.

NSW Fishing Licence - OneGov

https://www.onegov.nsw.gov.au/.../snsw/LicenceForm.../New?...Fish...DP...

Please provide an email address if you would like to receive a confirmation email containing a copy of your receipt for the payment. Mailing Address. * Please ...

Exemptions from the recreational fishing licence | NSW Department of ...

www.dpi.nsw.gov.au › ... › Recreational fishing licence fee

Exemptions from the recreational fishing licence. You are required to pay the NSW recreational fishing fee to fish in fresh and salt water in NSW unless you are:.

Renew a Recreational Fishing Licence | Service NSW

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/.../renew-recreational-fishing-licence

When fishing in NSW waters, both freshwater and saltwater, you're legally required to pay the NSW Recreational Fishing Fee and carry a receipt showing ...

Our agent network | NSW Department of Primary Industries

www.dpi.nsw.gov.au › ... › Recreational fishing licence fee

Gold agents are the preferred sellers of the NSW recreational fishing fee ... If you buy a licence from a gold agent, all money goes to the recreational fishing trusts ...

Thanks for providing that info Ray
    ~~~><))))*>

When you receive it Ray, try to find License written on it.
    Dale

Does not matter about the pedantics I was just interested if NSW government creams off a percentage as I did not want to get involved in research if someone in NSW already has the info.
    Seeing that you appear to have paid a " recreational fishing fee" can you please answer the question without nitpicking?
    Ray