Thread: Whale Watching

Whale Watching

Hey,
    A bit off the fishing topic, but with whales due back soon, where would be a good spot to do some whale watching? Haven't had much opportunity or inclination to take the boat out to look for whales, but I reckon the kids would get a kick out of seeing whales in our own boat.
    Do you need to go way outside, or are they pretty close, is there a reliable spot? Or just drive out until you see one?
    If it's a long hike, it might be easier and more comfy to do a charter......
    Oh, I'm up redcliffe way.
    Cheers
    Glen

Re: Whale Watching

Last time i saw them was from point lookout on n stradbroke.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

They always off Cape Moreton during the season, bastards.

So pretty accessible? Cool.
    Cheers . :-)

Yep they are in plague numbers every time I head out to Cal Wide from Scarborough over winter.
    It was like a whale highway at shallow tempest last winter

Since you are in Redcliffe, try Mon Komo in the beer garden area that overlooks the bay. If you sit with your back to the water there is quite often a few on the dance floor on any given Friday night. Otherwise just go to the Cape, there is that many around these days you have to look out for them, instead of looking for them....

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneC View Post
    Since you are in Redcliffe, try Mon Komo in the beer garden area that overlooks the bay. If you sit with your back to the water there is quite often a few on the dance floor on any given Friday night. Otherwise just go to the Cape, there is that many around these days you have to look out for them, instead of looking for them....
    Haha cheers.

The shortest trips on water would be out of Mooloolaba or the Gold Coast seaway.

Drive out a couple of k's from either bar, stop, drift along, set up the snacks, and sooner or later a bunch of whales will swim past.

More have also been coming right into the Bay each year. We saw a pod off Wellington Pt a couple of years ago, and even a Southern Right whale cow and calf south of Peel Island.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Go 15 miles out to sea on your own at dawn doing 25 knots and sure as chips one will leap into the air just in front of the boat - seems to work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Go 15 miles out to sea on your own at dawn doing 25 knots and sure as chips one will leap into the air just in front of the boat - seems to work for me.
    If I went 15 miles to sea at 25 knots on dawn with the numbers of the bad breathed mongrels going past these days I'd be the one leaping into the air (over their backs).
    Gford the easiest way to find them is look for, or listen out on the radio for whale torture/watching charter boats, they stay in touch with each other to locate them.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtragic View Post
    If I went 15 miles to sea at 25 knots on dawn with the numbers of the bad breathed mongrels going past these days I'd be the one leaping into the air (over their backs).
    Gford the easiest way to find them is look for, or listen out on the radio for whale torture/watching charter boats, they stay in touch with each other to locate them.
    Good idea.
    I remember when I was a kid, like 5 or 6 years old my dad had a little 12ft sailing boat, we took it out in Jarvis Bay and a humpback surfaced right next to us, its one of those things none of us have ever forgot, and I think my kids would really love to see the same.
    Cheers.

Blog Entries

Gold coast is a good option, out through the seaway ( pretty common this time of year ) ......Need to pick a good day weatherwise ( would suggest under 10 knots ) & hopefully no sea sickness ......need to venture out approx. 10 klms .
    Make sure you have all required safety gear including EPERB.

Whales are back saw some point lookout last weekend.. Great White as well.

Regards
    Honda.

You could get really lucky as on their return from up north, a few stray into the top end of the bay. If you have kids on the boat, give the whales a wide berth as they often breach.
    Snappas

Mate, you don't always have to go far out. I've seen them less than 1km out from the seaway.
    Dave