Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds, Nanny's & Trout

Reds, Nanny's & Trout

Hit 1770 last week and decided to go out wide to the swains reef for a run..lol

At first it seemed daunting but I realised it was only 220 k's and at 30+ knots it was only a four hr run so doable. On the way out we went over some ground in the deeper water of 240mtrs and decided to have a drop to break up the trip and we caught some nice cod and a snapper. We didn't want to waste too much time so after we boated 8 nice fish we continued on our mission of heading wide. I had planned to fish a couple of lumps south of the swains in 70 mtrs only to be disappointed with 20+ sharks turning up on our arrival. There was not a hope in hell we could boat a fish but with the best shows you could ever imagine on the sounder i decided to have a drop anyway only to be disappointed with a four way hook up on sharks.. I decided to head into the swains to get a good anchorage point for latter that afternoon being my first ever trip there and then headed out and bagged on red throats all over 50cm and about a dozen nice trout. On our way back into the reef we deployed two lures and caught two spaniards about 15kgs.

Day 2.

When we woke up in the morning we headed to 60mtr grounds and first drop we bagged a rice red a tad under 11kg and another about 8kg. We then moved about another 5k's and came over another nice lump in 60mtrs and pulled 7 nice reds of this lump. I then moved to a shoal to try and get a few more reds before heading back to 1770. We caught another 15 trout bringing us one short of our bag but knowing I was going to be around north reef in a few hrs I was confident we would get that last trout so we motored back towards 1770. At this point the weather had been excellent but on our way back it started to puff up a little. However we still managed to sit on 35knots in comfort. When getting close to north reef i went over a nice lump and circled back to find a nice school of reds and nannys.. Unfortunately after a few drifts and boating another 17 reds and nannys we had our overall bag limit and the wind had decided to pick up to 20 knots so it was time to head in.

All in all a 34 hr reteun trip to the swains with a nice box of fish. Not something i would do every day by good to tick off the bucket list.

Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1925.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	113050Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1906.jpg 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	113051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1913.jpg 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	113052

this was our swains catch before heading back towards 1770.... these fish were sorted recounted and iced down. The next pic with nannys and reds was after these fish were iced down.

Name:	IMG_1922.jpg 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	113053

This was our last few drops after the esky was full and fish iced down and packed

Name:	IMG_1934.jpg 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	113055
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1932.jpg 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	113054  

Re: Reds, Nanny's & Trout

Jeee-zus Keith, how's a bloke supposed to get up and go to work tomorrow now... ???

Top effort and brilliant results mate, well done.
    Cheers
    Brendon

Quote Originally Posted by gofishin View Post
    Jeee-zus Keith, how's a bloke supposed to get up and go to work tomorrow now... ???

Top effort and brilliant results mate, well done.
    Cheers
    Brendon
    thanks mate...

Good result mate. How's the boat going ?

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Good result mate. How's the boat going ?
    yeah good thanks mate... when u coming for another bash mate??

Cracker post mate. Let me know if you need another Deckie on your next trip!!!!!
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by bannana View Post
    yeah good thanks mate... when u coming for another bash mate??
    When I stop being busier than the one armed brickie. If you're around next week mate I'll give you a yell and organize a catch up.

Awesome lot of fish Keith.
    That weather sure turned the fish on those few days, especially the reds.

Epic trip mate that is one on my bucket list for sure. ( just need a boat upgrade first )

Have you got any fuel figures and km's travelled for that trip?

Well done Keith. What a great adventure!

You've restored my faith that there are indeed fish in the sea, if you know what your doing! Cheers for the report....

Nice work keith cracking trip .. Swains in a trailer boat where next ... Tick that off the list !! Lol.. Did you leave the permatrims on mate ? A trip like that would of had some weight on board with extra fuel and ice
    ...........GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO BAIT.........

Cracking report Keith. Big effort but the results speak for themselves. Nice work.
    Cheers Aaron

You have just nailed my dream trip haha.
    Cracken report mate.

Nice haul Keithstar.
    You're on fire like usual.