Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds, Nanny's & Trout

Re: Reds, Nanny's & Trout

That is an unreal effort well done I am totally jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by marto78 View Post
    Epic trip mate that is one on my bucket list for sure. ( just need a boat upgrade first )

Have you got any fuel figures and km's travelled for that trip?
    Cheers marto..

Mate 560 ks for about 1150 ltrs... I sat on 30-35 knots at all times including coming in and sounding for fish... All fish spots were new and found at same speeds..

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    You've restored my faith that there are indeed fish in the sea, if you know what your doing! Cheers for the report....

Mate just time on the water... i try to minimise repeating trips (Groundhog Day trips), cause these are usually in hope of repeating a previous trip on a previous spot. Usually what you find is the trips get a little more boring and less productive so i save these trips for certain crew or less patient fishos. sometimes when you do a new trip and the fish just aint chewing finding new spots is hard work so not a good time to have an inpatient crew..

For example mate If I was to go back next week and go back to the same spots I found and fished this trip i would be shocked if i done as good or better. The reason we catch fish and depending on who i have on board I usually don't return to marks unless fishing with glaring eyes and going to an area I don't really care gets flogged out.. Its always best to find fish from scratch (not going to old marks) because you are stopping on shows you find not on where the fish use to be.

Don't get me wrong I found a couple of really good spots this trip and because they were small structure and one in particular had wire weed on top id be confident they will produce again. However i would never pin my hopes on this and always look on the way too and from these spots as this is usually the best areas and times i seem to find new marks to fish..

My best advice to anyone who is lucky enough to fish a few times a year in a area like 1770 is when the fish are on the chew the last place you should be fishing is the place you've caught fish before!!! I know this sounds silly but all this does is brings you back again and again as opposed to moving and finding new ground while fish are chewing... Giving you way more options next time the fish are on lock down and most importantly the chance to crack some new ground and species while further learning to understand your sounder... just my 2 cents mate.

Quote Originally Posted by outta line View Post
    Nice work keith cracking trip .. Swains in a trailer boat where next ... Tick that off the list !! Lol.. Did you leave the permatrims on mate ? A trip like that would of had some weight on board with extra fuel and ice

Hey Mick,

Mate Typical trip and yes the permatrims are sensational however the fuel economy is up a little. I really think the motors need lifting as i feel drag now and a small amount of vibration but apart from that its the best the boat has every gone. We came home in a stiff 20 knots on the nose and I sat on 30-35 knots all the way for 170 ks..and got the boys to sit on the transom. Every now and then we hit the odd wave but to date Ive never been in any boat that could of done what mine did the other day and you know Im critical of my boat but since those permatrims went on its a weapon.... Very happy bud...

Quote Originally Posted by feral cat View Post
    You have just nailed my dream trip haha.
    Cracken report mate.
    Justin,

Yeah mate you'd love it.... No need to be uncomfortable out there mate its like a lake at night and plenty of night fishing options if you choose...

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    Nice haul Keithstar.
    You're on fire like usual.
    Thought I might see you out there bobby...

Quote Originally Posted by bannana View Post
    Mate just time on the water... i try to minimise repeating trips (Groundhog Day trips), cause these are usually in hope of repeating a previous trip on a previous spot. Usually what you find is the trips get a little more boring and less productive so i save these trips for certain crew or less patient fishos. sometimes when you do a new trip and the fish just aint chewing finding new spots is hard work so not a good time to have an inpatient crew..

For example mate If I was to go back next week and go back to the same spots I found and fished this trip i would be shocked if i done as good or better. The reason we catch fish and depending on who i have on board I usually don't return to marks unless fishing with glaring eyes and going to an area I don't really care gets flogged out.. Its always best to find fish from scratch (not going to old marks) because you are stopping on shows you find not on where the fish use to be.

Don't get me wrong I found a couple of really good spots this trip and because they were small structure and one in particular had wire weed on top id be confident they will produce again. However i would never pin my hopes on this and always look on the way too and from these spots as this is usually the best areas and times i seem to find new marks to fish..

My best advice to anyone who is lucky enough to fish a few times a year in a area like 1770 is when the fish are on the chew the last place you should be fishing is the place you've caught fish before!!! I know this sounds silly but all this does is brings you back again and again as opposed to moving and finding new ground while fish are chewing... Giving you way more options next time the fish are on lock down and most importantly the chance to crack some new ground and species while further learning to understand your sounder... just my 2 cents mate.
    Yes good advice, should even use that locally! But the Skipper plays a huge part and that is obviously a role you take seriously and do bloody well at. I went on a charter up that way a short while ago and the skipper had very little interest in working for the punters and the results (I.e. SFA) reflected that shit effort / attitude = shit result.

Thought I might see you out there bobby...
    You know it's on the list.
    Just need to source a 200ltr fuel bladder.

So what's next? Cato Reef?

Cheers marto..

Mate 560 ks for about 1150 ltrs... I sat on 30-35 knots at all times including coming in and sounding for fish... All fish spots were new and found at same speeds..
    Do you need to pre book your fuel at local the Servo LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Yes good advice, should even use that locally! But the Skipper plays a huge part and that is obviously a role you take seriously and do bloody well at. I went on a charter up that way a short while ago and the skipper had very little interest in working for the punters and the results (I.e. SFA) reflected that shit effort / attitude = shit result.

Cheers mate..

It would be a tough gig that charter game and I take my hat of to guys like Smithy who are exceptionally well respected in the industry and can back up week after week putting his customers onto fish and most importantley meeting their expectations.

As for up at 1770 mate it is like down here and when they have lock jaw its hard work. Making it worst the place does get heavily hit and largely due to the size and range of boats so most close grounds have been and are still getting hit hard and for a charter dude trying to make a buck on a day trip I recon it would be tuff.

For example if I had to take a few guys fishing and the fishing was slow id head straight to the shallows and bag a box of red throats and a box of trout. These fish are everywhere and pretty easy to catch. At times a Muppet could catch them and other times you need a little finesse. But fishing the shallows does require an angler to at least have the basic skills of float lining and knowing where their sinker is in the water Colum. Therefor preventing snags and loss of tackle. Not every angler has this. For a charter operator taking a crew that didn't want to pay extra for gear this could be costly. Just this last trip I lost 114 hooks!!! yip that's 38 sets of 8/0 ganged big guns plus swivels and plus leader. This was just fishing the shallows.... then there's the lure we lost on a Spaniard, red hooks when getting sharked etc.

Just saying mate a good trip for me to take the guys out with fuel food, tackle, drinks, bait, ice and accom (accom is free) still cost about $1800.. $450 each bloke.. I really think the charter guys are aimed at the majority of punters and unfortunately cannot cater for the hard core guys who really want to smack a few fish..

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    You know it's on the list.
    Just need to source a 200ltr fuel bladder.

So what's next? Cato Reef?
    Bobby,

Don't laugh mate but there's another reef about 100 ks further with dog tooth written all over it.. unfortunately that cat yesterday that smashed up on the rocks at 1770 was going to be the mother ship...

As for a fuel bladder the one I got from the states is unreal... its 450 ltrs but you can put in 10ltrs if that's all you need so I recommend you get a bigger one than you need and don't get a pillow... I usually only put in what I need.

Bobby,

Don't laugh mate but there's another reef about 100 ks further with dog tooth written all over it.. unfortunately that cat yesterday that smashed up on the rocks at 1770 was going to be the mother ship...

As for a fuel bladder the one I got from the states is unreal... its 450 ltrs but you can put in 10ltrs if that's all you need so I recommend you get a bigger one than you need and don't get a pillow... I usually only put in what I need.
    I seen that cat on this link.
    http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/...1770-/3020345/

How did it happen? Not good.

Have you got the link for the bladder?

I done Fraser that weekend, sharks were bad every where I went and couldn't pull a fish from the bottom in 40 to 180 meters on day 1.
    Day 2 was better and still lost some good fish but bagged.
    Got some good PB's, so happy with that.

Hey Mick,

Mate Typical trip and yes the permatrims are sensational however the fuel economy is up a little. I really think the motors need lifting as i feel drag now and a small amount of vibration but apart from that its the best the boat has every gone. We came home in a stiff 20 knots on the nose and I sat on 30-35 knots all the way for 170 ks..and got the boys to sit on the transom. Every now and then we hit the odd wave but to date Ive never been in any boat that could of done what mine did the other day and you know Im critical of my boat but since those permatrims went on its a weapon.... Very happy bud...
    good to here the p/trims are an improvement mate ..gives me hope .. Lol.. Didn't know if you had a full bladder on the nose or not .. Wasn't there a thread on swains in a trailer boat some somewhere that caused a bit of shit stir ... Lol..this Should start that one up again
    ...........GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO BAIT.........

Your a legend Keith. Well done mate.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Blog Entries

Fantastic stuff Keith. I'm heading up next weekend to hit them on Damo's charter. Here's hoping the weather and fishing gods are kind.