Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: plate boat design

Re: plate boat design

do you really think if someone, anyone, posted online and said "Did you see the photos boatbuilder X posted online yesterday? it would clearly fail the AS1799 stability test so if its got a builders plate saying its been built to AS1799 then they're lying" that someone wouldn't bring the post to the builder's attention and they'd just say "Oh well opinions are like arseholes..." Besides which it is a small industry and I have no intention of burning any bridges for your entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tucker View Post
    do you really think if someone, anyone, posted online and said "Did you see the photos boatbuilder X posted online yesterday? it would clearly fail the AS1799 stability test so if its got a builders plate saying its been built to AS1799 then they're lying" that someone wouldn't bring the post to the builder's attention and they'd just say "Oh well opinions are like arseholes..." Besides which it is a small industry and I have no intention of burning any bridges for your entertainment.
    Your not doing anything for my entertainment, your the one that was big noting yourself that you had seen posts on Facebook that would clearly fail the industry standard, and then put a big disclaimer..oh..oh but I'm not going to name names. Sounds like an episode of Seinfeld.

If your so concerned about the small industry your employed why mention anything at all, like i previously said?

Also, if your so concerned why not name the companies that YOU KNOW are doing the wrong thing. How would you feel if a boat swamped and little kids died in said brand of boat because it wasn’t built to the correct standard, and that you knew but didn’t want to offend someone in your small industry.

So what is it the builder would say or do if your opinion got back to him...say, “opinions are like arseholes?? or are they taking you to Court??...I’m confused.

Whatever... I guess I'm giving builders the benefit of the doubt. I'd also feel bad if I started a rumour that turned out to be wrong but still cost someone their business. Boat building is hand to mouth anyway and I'd want to be 100% sure of my facts before starting a rumour.

Dredging up an old thread here as I’m researching the best plate thickness for an alloy cat. Lots of discussion here about the thickness of the plate being used increasing over time as people looked for a better riding boat, & on another thread I read about the tendency of the plate to bend between the stringers if it’s too thin. I remember hearing 20 years ago about 3mm plate all over, then it was 4mm with 3mm sides, now 5mm with 3mm sides is common with some boats 6mm bottom with 4mm sides.
    So with a 4mm plate bottom, what is the maximum distance between stringers to ensure the plate doesn’t bend over time? Is there a formulae or standard to work to?

Ausfish Bronze Member
    Blog Entries

What brand of platey do you own Luke G??