Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: plate boat design

Re: plate boat design

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tucker View Post
    do you know what would be fun...

Get a range of boats together (of a similar size and style) and do a direct comparison away from the constraints of keeping magazine advertisers happy. Equip each with an accelerometer (Iphone with an app would do) and go for a run then do a static stability test as laid out in AS1799 (the pleasure boat standard).
    This is a fantastic idea and would give true figures and results and hopefully put a lot of questions to bed.

So can we count on you to supply the 8m and maybe your brother inlaws Mustang? Anyone in Victoria willing to test their 8ish metre glass boat, conventional 8m plate boat or a floodable keel ali boat of similar size. A cat or two would be nice as well.

Yes I can make both boats avalble to do testing on, I also has access to a Formula 233, 680 Haines, Reef Runner, and possible a 23 & 25 Berty.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    This is a fantastic idea and would give true figures and results and hopefully put a lot of questions to bed.
    Which boat short of the Malu Sara is going to fail a static stability test? What do you hope to find? How about loading them up with about a tonne and sending them out into 15 - 20 knots and see which ones work and which ones get bashed?
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Which boat short of the Malu Sara is going to fail a static stability test? What do you hope to find? How about loading them up with about a tonne and sending them out into 15 - 20 knots and see which ones work and which ones get bashed?
    I have no idea,
    doing a static stability test will give you a true indication of which boat is the most stable
    putting an accelerometer (G-Force) on each will give you an indication of which boat is riding the softest.

Sure there is the odd nice plate boat around, and Im sure yours are good PB and may be comparable to a glass hull. And I would like to see the comparo.
    But it doesnt really change the fact that the majority are dressed up as offshore boats but belong in a creek.
    The good designs seem to be few and far between
    Is formosa our biggest plate builder? check out the deadrises. The 4.8 and up are big boats (wide and high sided)
    http://www.formosamarineboats.com.au...s-tomahawk.php

http://www.formosamarineboats.com.au...re-console.php

those jihadists were reported as trying to get to indo in a tinny when really it was a berty I think. I think there punishment should be to put them in a 4.8m 13 degree formosa and send them there! even the 660 has a 18.5 degree deadrise.

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    You might be surprised. You could walk through most boat shows with a copy of AS1799 (the pleasure boat standard) and find a defect with at least 90% of the boats. At the small end of the market a lot of boats fail the passenger capacity requirements. Bigger boats pass that but may be fitted with undersized bilge pumps, non-airtight airtight buoyancy compartments, insufficient emergency buoyancy and in same cases insufficient stability. I've seen people post photos of "stability tests" on Facebook which demonstrate no real understanding of what is actually required and in some cases boats that are clearly failing (no I won't name names as I don't want to end up in court).

This is not, however what I was after in suggesting the test. From the glass boat guys you read over and over again how shit the ride is on plate boats. From the Plate boat guys you're constantly told glass boats aren't stable enough. So why not test both and do a comparison. Plot the results on a graph and trends will show up pretty quick.

How can you "measure" ride? The ocean surface is not constant, and lots of boats are perceived to ride better than some others, stability? Easy to test and measure, weight? Easy, dead rise? Easy, performance with the same HP? Not so easy, but possible to get indicative comparisons.

I've seen people post photos of "stability tests" on Facebook which demonstrate no real understanding of what is actually required and in some cases boats that are clearly failing (no I won't name names as I don't want to end up in court).

Don't think you can get into trouble of any kind for telling the truth, and if someone is a qualified person in that particular arena I would think even less so if that is possible. So pretty pointless pointing fingers using the disclaimer I don't want end up in court for fear of naming other supposed manufacturers breaching the code. Probably better not to say anything at all as it seems your only pushing your own barrow at the expense of others.

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    Sure there is the odd nice plate boat around, and Im sure yours are good PB and may be comparable to a glass hull. And I would like to see the comparo.
    But it doesnt really change the fact that the majority are dressed up as offshore boats but belong in a creek.
    The good designs seem to be few and far between
    Is formosa our biggest plate builder? check out the deadrises. The 4.8 and up are big boats (wide and high sided)
    http://www.formosamarineboats.com.au...s-tomahawk.php

http://www.formosamarineboats.com.au...re-console.php

those jihadists were reported as trying to get to indo in a tinny when really it was a berty I think. I think there punishment should be to put them in a 4.8m 13 degree formosa and send them there! even the 660 has a 18.5 degree deadrise.
    On that tangent- it has me buggered why they didn't just let them go. A few less imbeciles for this country to deal with and possibly missed out on a great artificial structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tucker View Post

This is not, however what I was after in suggesting the test. From the glass boat guys you read over and over again how shit the ride is on plate boats. From the Plate boat guys you're constantly told glass boats aren't stable enough. So why not test both and do a comparison. Plot the results on a graph and trends will show up pretty quick.
    Yep, fair call. It's a start at least. If you could come up with a decent testing yardstick I don't think any consumer is going to complain, and if you can weed out a few dogs in the meantime then all the better. Peter Webster, for all his pontification and one eyed cat love, came up with a few meaningful constants against which he measured the boats he tested. His fuel use rig was a work of art
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    How can you "measure" ride? The ocean surface is not constant, and lots of boats are perceived to ride better than some others, stability? Easy to test and measure, weight? Easy, dead rise? Easy, performance with the same HP? Not so easy, but possible to get indicative comparisons.
    It can be done with an accelerometer measuring the g-forces, It would be pretty easy to do as long as wave height, wind and swell was consistent at a set speed. It will give you a pretty accurate results, but it would mean having to do it all out of the same location and preferable on all on the same day.
    Preferable I would like to do it in 3 different conditions Calm, Moderate and High or at least calm and high.

That is the thing. Tests have to be done head to head. Boats need to line up next to each other and travel together for a measurable amount of time. That way the only variable that remains is the skill of the helmsman in driving his boat in wave.

Quote Originally Posted by fishing111 View Post
    I've seen people post photos of "stability tests" on Facebook which demonstrate no real understanding of what is actually required and in some cases boats that are clearly failing (no I won't name names as I don't want to end up in court).

Don't think you can get into trouble of any kind for telling the truth, and if someone is a qualified person in that particular arena I would think even less so if that is possible. So pretty pointless pointing fingers using the disclaimer I don't want end up in court for fear of naming other supposed manufacturers breaching the code. Probably better not to say anything at all as it seems your only pushing your own barrow at the expense of others.
    Sometimes its not about whether you are right, its about whether you can be bothered proving it in court if someone takes objection and I certainly haven't pointed any fingers. Any given boat may be within the 10% that are 100% by the book.

You may not have singled out a particular manufacturer/s boat, but to say you haven't pointed any fingers is a bit rich in my book by your comments regarding facebook posts which are directly aimed at inferior stability by other manufacturers. No offence but you sound like you have a high opinion of yourself if you think people are going to be dragging you into Court for your comments, which would be proven true, so why would they go to the great expense of taking you to Court for telling the truth?