Thread: The cathedrals 4/5/16

The cathedrals 4/5/16

I decided to have a SDO (Scotts day off )today and planned on looking for new ground out near the cathedrals. I found quite a few 6-9m ledges holding heaps of fish I dropped lives for no result...jigged till my arms where sore and nothing but the old paternoster rig
    did the trick accounting for my bag limit of pearlies and a really nice cod..
    got sharked 4 times whilst I was on bigger fish which was frustrating on my way back to the bar I stopped to get rid the extra bait I had left .
    I was in 25m of water put a pillie on to float and I could see this huge white shadow about 10m behind the boat. I was talking to myself saying what is it then up it comes I shit myself Guess what sort of shark think big
    I can't seem to put any photos up
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5164[1].jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	113015
    Last edited by Jsmfun; 04-05-2016 at 07:10 PM. Reason: photo
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Re: The cathedrals 4/5/16

Wow that looks huge! Great white? Can't tell from photo. Would have thought the water was still too warm for whites

Nice day out... Hope those ledges produce in the future!

I'm only looking at the pic on a phone but looks like it might be a small whale shark?

Cheers

Jim

I'll go with Great White but it's a FB shark - that's all that counts. Would have been cool to see one up close and personal. Did it hang around or didn't you to find out??

ok can load some photos is it common to see a whale shark near the south passage bar it was a juvenile about 4-5m long it even tried to nudge the boat a couple of timesAttachment 113016Attachment 113017Attachment 113018

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd degree View Post
    Nice day out... Hope those ledges produce in the future!

I'm only looking at the pic on a phone but looks like it might be a small whale shark?

Cheers
    spot on first time ive ever seen one i did not no they were down hear
    Jim
    spot on first time ive ever seen one i did not no they were down hear

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    I'll go with Gret White but it's a FB shark - that's all that counts. Would have been cool to see one up close and personal. Did it hang around or didn't you to find out??
    it hung aroround for about 5 min he/she kept comming up and nudging the motor if it was a white like i first thought i would have left in a hurry lol

Can't say I've heard of them around here...

I actually found one inside the reef a few years back and it looked like a big bommie slowing cruising around, so we jumped in with it for a swim!

They are very inquisitive and not too scared of boats or people.

cheers

jim

I came across a whale shark about 15 months ago in 80 m off the Gold Coast. Estimated about 8 m long and was also very inquisitive, nudging the boat and hanging around. Didn't jump in but should have. Guess they aren't that uncommon.

more pictures

Name:	IMG_5160[1].jpg 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	113029

Name:	IMG_5158[1].jpg 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	113030