Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a question directed at anyone that does fishing.

Question Got a question directed at anyone that does fishing.

So you know those books that AFN sell or websites that give free gps marks..
    I gather from what I have seen all those marks are just freebies and local knowledge.

If someone was to sell raw gps marks of islands and areas of moreton bay. What I mean by raw
    is someone has gone and taken the effort to scan a big area in detail and fished certain spots and caught fish
    then marked that spot would people buy like say a full package as in all the marks found in certain main fishing areas?

I been doing a project since I got my new fishfinder mainly for myself but thought what if people were interested.

As a example I have 20 marks on raby bay of reefs, gravel bottom..etc and all those marks on certain times of the tide ive caught good size snapper on every time I go.
    I've only scanned and recorded sonar bottom of shag rock and raby bay and bits of the brisbane river up near the mouth.

I was just wanting feedback if people would be interested in something like this.. I'm doing it all from my Hobie kayak and plane to scan most the main fishing spots over moreton bay down to the gold coast.

I'd also add pictures of sonar, methods on each spot, what you can catch "what i've caught", what lures or bait..etc

Re: Got a question directed at anyone that does fishing.

I would understand if you have a big ship and massive sonar and scan the whole bay and close offshore 3D and sell of the map but why are you trying to invent the wheel again, all above you mentioned is already done countless time in the past and current.

For an average person to buy your possible fishing spot gps marks, you need to be some sort of fishing guru, credited on publications, tv, etc...
    otherwise doesnt make any commercial sense

Most of this info is already available free online.

Facebook is full of fishing community and apps, FishBrain is an example, instead of single person like you with this app you can get updates from whole community.
    Keep up to date what everyone is catching, rough area, size, etc..
    You can even pay for premium app $2-$3 and show you exact spot where the catch was.

I see.. Well tell me where on the net and in books that people sell marks that haven't been shared around 100 times and are public knowledge.
    As for the prem apps I have had a few and they are more directed to NSW and other states compared to brisbane areas, You look at one of them and then compare that app to another and they
    have the same marks.. I've done my research and have yet to see anyone sell what I would be selling, also I am a member of some big kayak fishing grps and they are the same as any fisho..they will not share info.
    Which is fine but like I said the ones that are apps are the same thing as AFN books..they share marks that they feel can be shared but they will not share certain marks. I've not seen 20+ marks for raby bay alone..all the apps,
    books, websites all show 1 mark.. just 1 silly mark that is the same.

And who says I wouldn't keep it upto date.. Id also show the spot where I caught fish, show the sonar images, methods for both lures and bait..etc

Like I said tell me a proper app that shows Moreton bay marks that isn't the same as other marks on other apps or sites or books.

I wish you all the best with your business venture.

It's not so much a business venture just a small project.. I am just asking you tell me what app shows allot of "secret or raw marks" of Moreton bay.. There isn't many at all.
    And like any site or app its same thing for say a charter boat.. they will not show in videos on youtube the marks they goto..they hide it up.
    They will show marks that they feel the community can visit but not the top spots.. It's like if I asked you tell me for free all your top spots in the bay, all the methods to fish those spots..etc
    You won't tell me, you may tell me one or 2 spots that are not so great but are fine to share to public eyes.

I myself dont understand why you would want to do this??

You spend time finding a little spot that fishs well, tell people about it..
    You try being able to fish that mark again with the same success.
    It wont happen.
    Thats the glory of finding your own little spots..
    Use your hard work for your fun I say, theres enough general marks out there for most ppl to catch a feed.

Well it does happen. The 2 of the spots at raby bay that isn't listed on any app or site that I found. On 3 sep days I been to that spot and caught legal size snapper.
    On certain tide hours you can get fish on the same spot. I understand that people could out fish the spots but all I am doing is putting the effort in finding them, and with a kayak
    I go 4-5knots which is the optimal speed for a sonar, you try doing it.. I just hear of so many people not knowing where to go or not getting any fish and then I see all these people that could share knowledge
    but they won't..its like a secret society.

I'm trying to understand this. You found a spot that fishes well, at a certain time of the year, at a certain time of the tide and you wish to sell the location of that spot with the time and tide data to all comers? Or will you just sell the lat/long co-ords and not tell the times and tides that it performs well? How much do you think that information is worth, and how long do you think the information would remain accurate when everybody who'd bought the information started fishing it? Great money if you could get it, but not all fishermen are as crazy as some fishermen.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Quote Originally Posted by GreekBoi View Post
    It's not so much a business venture just a small project.. I am just asking you tell me what app shows allot of "secret or raw marks" of Moreton bay.. There isn't many at all.
    And like any site or app its same thing for say a charter boat.. they will not show in videos on youtube the marks they goto..they hide it up.
    They will show marks that they feel the community can visit but not the top spots.. It's like if I asked you tell me for free all your top spots in the bay, all the methods to fish those spots..etc
    You won't tell me, you may tell me one or 2 spots that are not so great but are fine to share to public eyes.
    when money is involved people naturally and rightfully look for credibility for any purchase.
    without meaning any negativity, I naturally ask to my self why would I purchase your knowledge, and do a basic seach of your catch reports on this site

my findings are;
    - only 3 reports over the last 3 years
    - one of the report is consisting of no catch, donut report
    - one of the report, looks like you cant remember the name of the fish spiecies

I dont doubt your skills and knowledge, however doesnt get me very excited mate.

You might not share your catches on this forum, if so this is against the logic of your post anyways
    You might be an ace fisherman on a kayak forum, no idea. I dont do kayaks
    I might be using the forum search function incorrectly; quite possible

I see the reports from the Wicked Fishing all the time, his photos and consistent reports gets me very excited to a point that I would easily buy both his DVDs without any hesitation.

I admire anybody who wants to promulgate info to fishing groups. I will let you into a secret, I have heaps of secret marks on 9 and 12 mile reefs off caloundra but somehow 3 out 4 times I go there and someone is sitting right on them. I think you will find that there are no secret spots but spots that fish really well in certain conditions. It all depends on time of year, direction of swell even the wind direction and offshore whether the set is running south or north,the moon phase and whether my missus is in happy mood or otherwise, the same reef will fish totally differently and perform or not perform. For instance Spanish Mackerel move between 12 mile and the Barwon Banks depending on whether the tide is coming in or going out, now 15 km out to sea you wouldn't think this was the case but spend some time watching the professionals and those who always catch plenty you will soon ascertain the pattern and I'm not about to give it away just yet. I guess what I'm saying is what Pros and others above (I do apologize but I can't see the other respondents on my phone) are trying to say is that it is not that simple otherwise everyone who went out would catch shit loads all the time.

At the end of the day, would I pay for your spots, no as I continuously look for my own, I don't even have the gps on when heading for a mark as it often leads me into new grounds, but I still think you should try with your proposal as great things have often come out of odd ideas.

I tend to agree with dignity. There are people who would spend coin to get access to something that has at least worked some of the time. Some people don't have time to search through or even join chat rooms and such and are after a nice quick and easy way to catch a fish or two.
    I also agree with the suggestion that there are no secret spots. But the people who would pay for this information aren't the sort of people who would have a log of secret spots.
    So I would say go for it, but the devil is in the detail. What are people paying for and what do they expect.

A gentleman with the surname of Palermo tried this many years ago. Ultimately once your "secret spots" (LOL) are no longer secrets the information is not worth a jatz cracker and every person who shells out to purchase your info and then turns up at a spot to find 5 other boats there thinks they have been ripped off. Go for it by all means but don't be overly surprised by the lack of uptake or the repercussions.

Once you sell them they will end up on the net for free anyway.
    Pointless

[QUOTE=GreekBoi;1614090]I see.. Well tell me where on the net and in books that people sell marks that haven't been shared around 100 times and are public knowledge.
    As for the prem apps I have had a few and they are more directed to NSW and other states compared to brisbane areas, You look at one of them and then compare that app to another and they
    have the same marks.. I've done my research and have yet to see anyone sell what I would be selling, also I am a member of some big kayak fishing grps and they are the same as any fisho..they will not share info.
    Which is fine but like I said the ones that are apps are the same thing as AFN books..they share marks that they feel can be shared but they will not share certain marks. I've not seen 20+ marks for raby bay alone..all the apps,
    books, websites all show 1 mark.. just 1 silly mark that is the same.
    QUOTE]

..................Ebay................

One point I didn't spell out but alluded to was that the mark might not be on the Internet but guaranteed that it's unknown. I have a huge amount of marks that I found over the years that have lots of people fishing them. GreekBoi, my sounder allows me to download my tracks and the depth and location is there to review. I often find points of interest this way and sometimes they produce and sometimes they don't, no different to any other spot. Good luck if you proceed.