Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sounder for min kota

Re: Sounder for min kota

Hey Scottar.
    iam not up on all this electronic stuff.

So i currently have a transducer on the starb sode of transom.

So where do i put the other one?

Do u just put the head unit up near the min kota?

What do u mean about the side imaging.?

Cant you successfully clamp wires if u put trans onto min kota.?

Will it not read as good if mounted on minkota?

Sorry for all the questions

cheers
    greg

On my old tinnie I had anything up to three transducers mounted side by side - one pressing between each - screwed to a piece of starboard that was bolted to the back of the boat. In theory you will only ever use the front unit when you are actually fishing and as such you can get away with a "less than perfect" install for the transducer as it will never have to work at speed. I had the transducers on the port side - a stand alone sounder and a combo on the console and another stand alone sounder up front near the electric.

If you mount the transducer on the motor, it will turn with the motor. As such if you have the motor taking the bow to starboard at 90 degrees, the image shown on the "port side" of the sidescan display will actually be directly in front of the boat. If you are on spot lock and the motor turns to face the transom - left is right and vice versa.

When you mount the transducer on the motor, from memory you had one of two options. The cable can either be run in the groove on the shaft secured top and bottom - to do this the cable has to be small enough to fit and the plug had to be cut off to pass the cable through - warranty void instantly and still requires a heap of slack for tilting/stowing. The second was to secure the cable at the top and bottom but you had to leave enough slack to go around the mount and to allow the unit to be tilted/stowed. You can only secure the cable top and bottom so the motor depth can be adjusted as required and the motor stowed. With either method you have to keep an eye on things to make sure the cable doesn't get wound up too much as the motor goes about it's business, tangled with the motors cable or the slack caught up in other things (namely your feet).

There will be no difference in the reading on the sounder itself. I just personally could not be stuffed having to worry about cable management - I go fishing to relax and have a good time. If you were a hard core tournament fisho it may be worth the hassle to gain the length of the boat in time as you travel forward but in my mind that would be the only reason.

Thanks Scottar.
    that all makes good sense. I can see about the wires getting caught up and u can only use when electric is in water.
    As i said before, i currently have transducer on starb side. Can i put the 2 nd transducer on port side and will it work ok. I guess if i put it on transom i can use both sounders. One as a gps and the other as sounder, as long as i can see that far. Lol
    I just thought all transducers had to go on starb side because of the prop rotation but as i said this is all beyond me.

Steven i saw that note about it including trolling mount.

cheers
    greg

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    There are 2 units.
    $629 for 300w of power
    $729 for 500w of power

I wonder if there is all that much diffence.

Maybe someone can tell me. Garry?

cheets
    greg
    There is only 1 x 7sv Someone must be changing out the transducer for a lower powered model to be offering that deal. The 7sv are currently on backorder due to them being hot property. Sold my stock in the first week!!!
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Garry, they are both advertised on Northside boat bits.
    Is there much difference between 300w and 500w

I'd be pretty confident mounting on the port side would not be an issue - mine never was. It is not uncommon to have mount transducers on the port side due to lack of space on the transom due to other fittings or through hull fittings that will cause noise - never really been an issue. Depending on the units and settings, you may find you will have to turn whichever is not in use off to stop them interfering with each other anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    Garry, they are both advertised on Northside boat bits.
    Is there much difference between 300w and 500w
    No Such thing as a 7sv 300W

I looked on there site could only find a 7SV or a 7DV (no side view) you can get better pricing else where
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Garry
    can you do better or where do u suggest

cheers
    greg

the more powerful one should give readinds in deeper water.

What r they littlejim