Thread: Fishing a northerly wind.

Fishing a northerly wind.

I'm sure there are a few others out there who have noticed the gods of fishing have taken a big ol dump on the patient anglers of SE Queensland with big Swells, Storms and winds to the point that your boat and defiantly mine have become static sculptures depicting the struggle of man against the elements rather then the fishing vessels they were intended to serve as.

Well it looks like a possible break in the weather on Monday and a chance free day have lined up nicely only to find the wind direction pointing consistently north for the majority of the day, for whatever reason Both my self and those i talk with have had about as much luck fishing in a northerly breeze as we would have had if we'd stayed at home and dropped a line in the bathtub.
    Usually i would take one look at a wind forecast with the Letter N and say nope, but after the last 12 months of crappy weather i'm ready to give it a go.

Has any one found any reliable methods for bringing the fish on When the wind blows from the north?

Re: Fishing a northerly wind.

I must say that looking at seabreeze today (10-13kn) and comparing with the BOM observations (5-7kn), seabreeze got it wrong for today... Unfortunately I made my choice on seabreeze.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

This sort of thing comes up all the time, regardless of what direction the wind is from, some places it's offshore, some along the shore and so on, but one thing remains constant, it is never windy under the water! you think the fish starve to death when a northerly blows? The fish are still there, and still need to eat, they might not be in exactly the same spot, or in a Northerly, your drift is not favorable to structure, or a dozen other things, but the fish are still there.

Have to agree a northerly turns the fish off. Though am also contemplating Monday but reckon it will be lumpy out there still. 1.5m forecasted seas and was blowing up to 24knots last night. Will keep an eye on it the forecast actual cape moreton actuals today before packing the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    This sort of thing comes up all the time, regardless of what direction the wind is from, some places it's offshore, some along the shore and so on, but one thing remains constant, it is never windy under the water! you think the fish starve to death when a northerly blows? The fish are still there, and still need to eat, they might not be in exactly the same spot, or in a Northerly, your drift is not favorable to structure, or a dozen other things, but the fish are still there.
    Just like me, like to go fishing but when the wind is blowing it's head off and pissing down rain, I stay home. I very noticed that even in the passage here soon as it turns northerly the bites slow down but we will still manage a fish or two. Outside same thing but one of my best sessions was in a strong northerly. Dropping Barometric pressure seems to be a more reliable indicator for a drop in fish bites, they certainly bite better when it is rising.

Quote Originally Posted by PixieAU View Post
    I must say that looking at seabreeze today (10-13kn) and comparing with the BOM observations (5-7kn), seabreeze got it wrong for today... Unfortunately I made my choice on seabreeze.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
    So did I. But with all the rain this morning I convinced myself it was correct decision.

Love fishing Moreton Bay in a northerly...lots of great options, depending on the tides.

Most of my best fish have come during sessions with a northerly blowing...

Wind direction for me determines where I fish, it does't normally mean less fish in the box.
    Most SEQ reefs and shoals are more suited to S to E wind directions but not all.
    I studied the shoals last night on Nearmap and worked out what was the best option for this mornings predicted drift heading and it come good for me even in the rain it was reasonable.
    Jack.

Well we headed out and the wind and swell were kind, I headed wide and did reasonably well. A friend sat on the close reef at hit bag limit after bag limit, no clue why the close reefs were doing better but we ended up doing much better when we stopped on them as well, Im guessing recent rain might have had some effect on the bait available at the closer reefs.

In theory what would make a section of reef more suitable in a north wind?

I almost always fish the edge of a reef, where is has a drop off onto sand or gravel, the wind determines if I can anchor and fish the edge, or go to another spot that suits the wind direction. For a drifter, wind direction determines how long you might be in the "zone" and if you are drifting along or across a good spot.