Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2500 spin combo. Help!

2500 spin combo. Help!

Hi guys. Been a long time since I've been in here.
    Im looking to buy a new little spin combo that's pretty versatile for off the kayak in estuaries, but also land based for river mouths and maybe even casting into surf.

Been looking at at the shimano raider bream 1-4 7'2" 2 piece, but fluegar have a nice one piece 7' 2-5 kg.

Id be doing more lure throwing for bream than bigger stuff, so am looking for something that can throw those light lures.

Reels- been looking at the Stradic 2500, are they still the go for the price? Was thinking of having 2 spools. One with 8lb and one with 12 or higher to easily switch.

Really just oust looking for a good versatile combo for about $400 that will throw light lures, but tough enough to go a bit bigger too.

Thanks for any help!!

Re: 2500 spin combo. Help!

Mate i love my stradic 2500 (about 7 years old now) but i am very impressed with my new Sedona 1000. Very good value. Cheers. I am a big fan of Daiwa rods and Shimano spinning reels.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Strides are good, mine still go strong. Either that or a sustain. Here's some examples:

Kind of making me want to go out and spend...

Stradic's are good solid reels but look for a Sustain on special, sometimes you can pick them up same price as Stradic. My fav combo is the sustain on the original t-curve.

I have the 7' 2-5,with a 2500 stradic. It's great for bream to fatty to tailor running 10 kg braid. I take it up the beach in the gutters and on my jet ski in the estauries. Also use 1/8 10 jig heads on plastics. Great.

I love the pflueger trion rods mate. Ive got a 2-4kg 7ft i wanna sell if ya interested. I match them with a shimano sahara 2500. I mainly use my 3-6kg for snapper...

Thanks gents. I've found a sustain for $250 which is about the same stradic.
    And im thinking the shorter 6'10" t-curve 2-5kg as I'll mostly be the yak. Are the t-curves still good? Found that one for $160. I may still go the 7'3" 1-3 kg. Is that too light to be casting into gutters?
    TimBOO, what price are you looking for your rod?

$80 mate. Can bring ya reel and try it on the rod to see if you like it.

Longer rod for casting especially light lures. You could get away with a 2000 size reel.

It's worth checking out Alan Hawk's suggestions on the spin reel side. The Sustain is not really worth the coin. Better to look for a Stradic on special or check the other suggestions out. The Stradic is mentioned in the link below.

http://www.alanhawk.com/blog/wr15.html

Thanks for that.
    Everywhere I look the sustain and stradic are the same price ($249), so I think I'll go with the sustain

Quote Originally Posted by TimBOO View Post
    Longer rod for casting especially light lures. You could get away with a 2000 size reel.
    Hey mate, I'm in NSW so it's a bit hard. Thanks anyway

Why go 2500 size if you are chasing bream and flatties?
    I use 1000 size for snapps even running 6lb braid or 8 lb braid.
    Stradic and Symetre 1000 reels are great.
    Match that with a Daiwa Generation black 1-4 rod and you will have the sweetest of combos.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Why go 2500 size if you are chasing bream and flatties?
    I use 1000 size for snapps even running 6lb braid or 8 lb braid.
    Stradic and Symetre 1000 reels are great.
    Match that with a Daiwa Generation black 1-4 rod and you will have the sweetest of combos.
    Mainly because I want a versatile rig that I can throw into the surf as well.

I have a really light freshwater bc setup that I use for bass, but I want to get a nice setup to serve me well in the salt on holidays. The places we go means it's not always breaming, or beach. Was hoping a 2500 on a 7 foot rod would serve me well for both. Also in the yak
    cant use my fresh gear in the salt

The review by Alan Hawk was on the newest Sustain 20,000SW that cost what ~$1,200? He was dissapointed that Shimano cheapened some components - rightly so, but your talking about a 2500 costing around $250, they are still better than the Stradic, lovely reels.

Phluger trion are OK for light work but hook a decent by-catch fish (Jew for example) and its like fighting with a rubber band, they got no power in the butt section, the T-curve has heaps of grunt in the butt for those times when you need it. No, the new T-curve Revoluition's are not as good as the original, Shimano has a dissapointing habit of bringing out new models that are substandard to the previous model. (T-curve >> revoluition, Baitrunners >>> new batirunners, Torsa >>> talica - sure there are plenty other examples)

A 2,500 on a 7' rod would provide versatility - you are are on the right track.