Thread: Brisbane River last 2 weekends

Talking Brisbane River last 2 weekends

Hi Guys,

Have been "boat sitting" my old man's 3.5m tinny the last couple of months. I've ventured into the Brisbane river a number of times. Always a few flathead out on the and banks at the mouth.

I haven't been able to land a legal muddie despite the best efforts!

Anyway, as luck would have it, my time is coming to an end with the boat before it disappears, so being eager to fish as much I could, I have done a couple of afternoon/night trips to the Gateway Bridge.

Not really knowing, but having read enough on the forums to expect some bream and possibly a squire or 2, I loaded up with some mullet from the seafood shop at Colmslie, and netted some prawns and herring near the Gateway.

Both trips the tally for each was 1 nice squire about 40cm and 4- 5 decent bream.

Strangely, all fish were caught on the mullet or pilchard cubes. low light period to dark was best, once the river became a bit quieter.

With the livies (prawns and herring), they always seemed to get smashed rather aggressively, but the fish always just missed the hook. I tried putting the hook in different spots (tail, mouth, behind dorsal) but the end result was always the same.

I guess I am asking does anyone have any ideas what could have been hitting the livies in that area, and what I could do to try and secure a hookup? I tried striking, letting line run etc but nothing seemed to quite work.

Any hints would be appreciated. I'm assuming possibly squire, large bream or a jew ( never caught one) so wouldn't know what they do!

n another note, reading the forums and posts here and watching what people did, where they went for bait etc was a massive help for me to come back with my first squire and to land a few fish in the river, so cheers for posting the info.

I have 3 weeks left with the boat unless I convince the old man it has been "stolen"

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Re: Brisbane River last 2 weekends

I have found the bream can be really aggressive, occasionally hitting the bait, killing it and leaving it. I find putting the hook just behind the head gets my better hook up with the bream.

Don't know about the brisbane river but up in the pummistone passage it is usually a sign of pike eels.

Thanks mate

Cheers mate that could be the case - a couple of them came back in crushed . Will get them eventually