Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OPINIONS ON DOWN RIGGERS - please

Re: OPINIONS ON DOWN RIGGERS - please

Slightly off topic, but with the aim to achieve a similar effect - i.e. more depth ...

Has anyone seen these in their travels or internet surfing??

They are (were!) called 'down sinkers'. Used them in the late 70's & 80's in PNG when trolling baits to get a few extra meters of depth.

Have surfed the net a few times over the years without any joy.
    Cheers
    Brendon

WoW
    haven't seen a down sinker in years ..... work really well on spotties towing pillies in pink squids.
    where did you get them?

BigE

Still got a few of them from my PNG days Ian... so these are, hnmmm ... maybe 30yrs or more old! Would like some more though .
    Cheers
    Brendon

You might have to bite the bullet and get someone with a CNC machine to knock up a mold for you.

Yeah maybe Scotty.

Where did you get yours from Ian, & how long ago?

Hi Roz
    I've got a home made Alvey reef master downrigger that I run stainless wire on. When I'm mac fishing it's always the first rod set. I have run hardbodies, deadbaits and livies on it and all have been successful on all 3. I probably catch 80% of my mackeral on the downrigger. I run a large fish shape bomb from wellsys tackle on the bottom, about a foot above that I have a large ball bearing snap swivel crimped in position. I run the bait out the desired length wrap a rubber band around it and clip it into the snap swivel on the rigger, lower the rigger down to the desired depth(wire is marked every 5m) and put the reel in gear.
    Cheers,
    Keith

i haven't used mine much at all (just a test run when i bought it years ago, bu t i mainly spearfish) but when i put it on my transducer side i can see the line and the ball. good to see it on the sounder and not just rely on the counter

Hi Go Fishin
    got mine years ago at some markets up north (Bowen) would be over 10 years ago.

BigE