Thread: Repair to a cork fore grip - advice please

Repair to a cork fore grip - advice please

One of my many rods is in need of repair.

The fore grip is made of cork & has a smallish but spreading split.

I am hoping someone might tell me what product I should use to do the repair, must add I had to ream out the cork to fit the fore grip section above the reel seat, unfortunately the cork in that section is a bit thin, I knew I was compromising the grip by doing this but it was cork or nothing.

I built the rod as an over head, it has a fast taper, not that that matters in this case, will quote Stuart at this point, it is not a "spaghetti rod". Hey there Stu

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks heaps
    cheers Roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Re: Repair to a cork fore grip - advice please

I once repaired a cork foregrip with a strip of cork gasket material I got from an auto parts shop, simply wrapped the strip around kind of like tape in a spiral, still OK about 8 years later, you could also use that very expensive leather looking stuff they wrap on game rods?

There is a product called Bondsall which is similar to a super glue, if you inject it into the split and push it together for 30 secs it will not come apart, the product also has a filler which you can add to it to use as a filler but it is white. The issue is how to inject the glue while protecting surrounding surfaces.

If interested I can give you the phone number of the supplier or alternatively if you are going through Caloundra you can use mine, it will only take a minute.

thanks for the responses so far, very helpful.

i think I would be looking for a filler rather than a glue, obviously a filler that is similar in colour to cork.

r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Is the split normal to the grain of the cork or is it from use?
    If it is from use you will struggle to get a long term repair unless what you use is very flexible.
    I would be tempted to inject superglue into the root to stabilise the bottom of the crack, then work in clear silicone into the crack as a filler then cork filings into the top of the silicone to colour it. Find a piece of spare cork and attack it with a coarse file or rasp to get the filings.
    Jack.

hey Roz , just a thought ,if you could post up a pick of the grip it might be easier to offer a solution

ian

Use a wood filler and seal the cork i use Elmers woodfiller in golden oak then once sanded put a cork sealer over the whole cork to protect it.

Roz,
    I use titebond 111 its a waterproof wood glue. Add to this some cork dust .overfill then sand back.
    Cheers Graham