Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing pilgrimages

Question Fishing pilgrimages

Hi All

I was having a chat today with my brother about pilgrimages ..... and it got me thinking about "fishing pilgrimages"

I'm planning one right now to Lake Tinaroo .... which is the birthplace of impoundment barra fishing .

I've done a few trips over the years that I considered a pilgrimage ...... Montague Island (Tuna & Kingfish) , Tongariro river NZ (Steelhead Trout) , Lord Howe Island (Kingfish) , The tubes @ Jervis Bay (LBG - Marlin) - and I'd like to tick off PNG (Black bass) Spencer Gulf SA (Snapper) , Daly River NT (salty bara) , Lizard Island (black Marlin) & Florida Keys (Giant Tarpon) at some stage .

now I reckon most fishoes would have fishing mecca , nirvana or a place of pilgrimage that they would love to go to

what is yours ?

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Fishing pilgrimages

A long time ago we used to do a pilgrimage to Culburra on the NSW south cost to fish for bif Yellowfin Tuna, Kingfish and Marlin, it was quite a big affair, I would tow the caravan down first, set it all up, then tow the boat the next day while my wife and kids went down in the car, my old Landcruiser ute was loaded with gear, freezer, drum of 2 stroke oil, small tent and a million other things a family would need for 3 weeks.

Fishing pilgrimages

I considered my trip to the territory doing a 5 day charter a pilgrimage of sorts with Barra sailfish and many other species on the list ,it was better than expected . I used Allan Beale from Darwin Barra base as my charter operator ,his knowledge is one of the best around IMO...matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I've always wanted to launch at 1770 and head up to Pancake Ck for a few days of camping and fishing. Nothing really stopping me but time I guess. One day.
    ~~~><))))*>

In all my years fishing, I have caught some very memorable fish, including big Tuna (in excess of 95kg) all three species of marlin, Barra, practically every species of bottom fish, strange ooglies from the shelf, and in all my trips here and there, I have never caught a Jack of any size! Fished beside mates, and they have caught them, but alas... No Jacks for me, kind of one of those fish I would gladly go on a "pilgrimage" for, also never caught a Sailfish, but that doesn't bother me too much, just those god damn Jacks!

My retirement pilgrimage is to fish the dams listed in the bass & barra trail book that came out a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    A long time ago we used to do a pilgrimage to Culburra on the NSW south cost to fish for bif Yellowfin Tuna, Kingfish and Marlin, it was quite a big affair, I would tow the caravan down first, set it all up, then tow the boat the next day while my wife and kids went down in the car, my old Landcruiser ute was loaded with gear, freezer, drum of 2 stroke oil, small tent and a million other things a family would need for 3 weeks.
    Yes - fished the banks a few times - shame it doesn't fish like it used to ....... I reckon a few thousand LBG guys headed down there too (me included) to fish the Tubes , Beecroft , Eves etc for those Marlin & Tuna ....... mind you last time I went down to the Tubes it was left like a rubbish tip

Yep certainly a spot worth a pilgrimage to

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    I've always wanted to launch at 1770 and head up to Pancake Ck for a few days of camping and fishing. Nothing really stopping me but time I guess. One day.
    Hey Mike

Unfortunately too many people put off doing their fishing pilgrimage ..... some for valid reasons - I guess most pilgrimages would either involve a bit of effort and planning - cost ..... and often all of these.

I know I would love to get my boat to Weipa ..... but the thought of a potentially destroyed boat and trailer puts me off ...... yeh you can go there guided but it's just not quite the same IMO

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    My retirement pilgrimage is to fish the dams listed in the bass & barra trail book that came out a few years ago.
    Certainly doable if you have the time ...... Having done quite a few of these dams - you certainly need the time as there are plenty that spending a week or more is still not enough

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Yes - fished the banks a few times - shame it doesn't fish like it used to ....... I reckon a few thousand LBG guys headed down there too (me included) to fish the Tubes , Beecroft , Eves etc for those Marlin & Tuna ....... mind you last time I went down to the Tubes it was left like a rubbish tip

Yep certainly a spot worth a pilgrimage to

Chris
    spent many long days on the Banks, early mornings among the hoards of trailer boats, and the few pro line fishing boats with legendary names like Ajax, Hunky too, Melicent, skippered by tough as nails guys, working hard line fishing for Tuna and Kingfish. The biggest disappointment of my fishing there was missing a "grand slam" of Marlin, meaning all three species in the one day, I caught a Blue very early, out wide, came back to the banks and landed a black almost straight away, next bait took off, and I said to my mate he should take it, because I was buggered, and he hadn't had a fish all day, pissed me off big time that it was a Striped! never heard of all three being landed down this way ever!

In all my years fishing, I have caught some very memorable fish, including big Tuna (in excess of 95kg) all three species of marlin, Barra, practically every species of bottom fish, strange ooglies from the shelf, and in all my trips here and there, I have never caught a Jack of any size! Fished beside mates, and they have caught them, but alas... No Jacks for me, kind of one of those fish I would gladly go on a "pilgrimage" for, also never caught a Sailfish, but that doesn't bother me too much, just those god damn Jacks!
    Mate have an itch that needs scratching like a species of fish can be all consuming hey ? I've got a few mates that are hell bent on catching a big jew or snapper and really put in the hours & money.

I know I have a few fish that are on a bucket list .... Giant Tarpon (Florida) , Salmon (Canada or NZ) & my #1 PNG black bass ...... I'm going to try to tick these box's by the end of the decade .

But yeh .... I can understand the attraction to catching a decent Jack - specially if it is lure caught

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

spent many long days on the Banks, early mornings among the hoards of trailer boats, and the few pro line fishing boats with legendary names like Ajax, Hunky too, Melicent, skippered by tough as nails guys, working hard line fishing for Tuna and Kingfish. The biggest disappointment of my fishing there was missing a "grand slam" of Marlin, meaning all three species in the one day, I caught a Blue very early, out wide, came back to the banks and landed a black almost straight away, next bait took off, and I said to my mate he should take it, because I was buggered, and he hadn't had a fish all day, pissed me off big time that it was a Striped! never heard of all three being landed down this way ever!
    The biggest yellowfin I've ever seen was landed down at the banks - A genuine 100kg specimen . It was also the place where I had my first encounter with a Wahoo ...... it was also the first time I was ever spooled .
    If I have three favorite places in NSW - it;s Montague Island , Fish Rock (SWR) & the Banks ....... fond memories cutting my teeth on sport fishing / light game

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have also done a week in the Kimberley at Kimberley coastal camp and that was outstanding in its own way , so much so I am taking the wife there next season .

I would like to put Kiribati and PNG on my must do list as well . Maybe we should organise a group trip and invite your mate aussiebasser to come as well ....Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    I have also done a week in the Kimberley at Kimberley coastal camp and that was outstanding in its own way , so much so I am taking the wife there next season .

I would like to put Kiribati and PNG on my must do list as well . Maybe we should organise a group trip and invite your mate aussiebasser to come as well ....Matt
    Good one Matt ......

but only if it was politics free ...... maybe with the exception of over a beer or 10

Kimberley ..... that name associates for me with 12th Sept 2001 - the day Ansett collapsed ...... and I lost my tickets - Syd - Darwin - Broome - Perth - Syd (Business class) - a couple years of planning for what was to be a great family holiday.

It certainly looks like a great place

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Dragging the boats up to waddy on Fraser is a lots of fun.
    It can be hard work getting there when there hasn't been much rain, but some rewarding fishing.

Thanks
    Rob