Thread: New to area

New to area

Hi, I will be going to Ballina Beach Village in a couple of weeks. Never been there before. How is fishing there and what will be the best, beach or river.

Re: New to area

Hi mate, I used to live there twenty years ago and did a lot of fishing there. Things would have changed a lot in that amount of time but from Anzac day on used to be a great time for tailor and jewfish. I used to mainly fish the beaches at this time , some beaches fish well at high tide ( boulder beach Lennox Head at twighlight and into the night) others fished better at low tide ( seven mile beach Lennox ) I always fished at night and used 30lb line 7inch alvey sidecast 6/o French hook, big ball sinker and a big slab of fresh Mullet or squid. You will catch the big greenback Tailor with those baits as against the smaller school tailer using pillies. One of the best baits to use for big Jewfish are slabs of fresh tailor that you have just caught , a really top fisherman that fished that area all his life told me whenever there are tailor around the beach the Jewfish are there as well. Just about all the beaches around Lennox and Ballina should fish well the time you are going. There are a lot of spots I have not mentioned such as both breakwalls on the Richmond and if you have a 4wd, south Ballina beach and top of seven mile beach ( you could drive onto all those beaches then but it may have changed now.) I never fished the river much for Jew or tailor ,mainly bream. I reckon the best time to fish this area is at night on the right tide.As I said earlier I'm talking twenty years it may not be the same but give it a go, good luck.