Thread: How many hours on your Suzuki 175 4 stroke ?

How many hours on your Suzuki 175 4 stroke ?

Just got a bargain buy on a 175 2012 model with 78 hrs on it. Bought it attached to a Seafarer victory and trailer in reasonable condition. It came with the new Garmin Digital guages, Seastar hydraulic Steering, etc. picked the whole rig up for $20 k
    The motor still has 2 yrs warranty. Cost him $26k to buy and fit the motor and gear mentioned.
    My plan is to swap the Motor onto my Yalta 2000 and take my existing Zuk 175 with 1200 hrs off and put it on the seafarer and sell it to a mate for $15 k.,so my change up cost will be about $5,500 after a bit of work on the trailer.

me thinks ive done a pretty good deal !
    Just talking to the mechanic who actually sold and fitted this motor about hours on these and he told me he knows of ones being used commercially achieving 10000 hrs with good servicing.
    So im thinking mine that has 1200 hrs is still a pup.
    im interested to know what hours others are seeing
    Cheers
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Re: How many hours on your Suzuki 175 4 stroke ?

Was that up at Mission Beach?
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

So, are you keeping your old motor, but on the Seafarer? A bit confusing what you are trying to achieve.

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    So, are you keeping your old motor, but on the Seafarer? A bit confusing what you are trying to achieve.
    My plan is to swap the Motor onto my Yalta 2000 and take my existing Zuk 175 with 1200 hrs off and put it on the seafarer and sell it to a mate for $15 k.,so my change up cost will be about $5,500 after a bit of work on the trailer.

Noel Noel Noel, did you miss this bit. Or did I miss something.

Your mate is getting a bit of a deal too, unless the boat needs some structural work done.
    Good stuff. Jim.
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

Quote Originally Posted by bigjimg View Post

Noel Noel Noel, did you miss this bit. Or did I miss something.

Your mate is getting a bit of a deal too, unless the boat needs some structural work done.
    Good stuff. Jim.
    Yeah you got it right Jim.
    And yes FishHard it was at Mission. There was a cloud of people after it after it was dropped to $20 k
    I was just fortunate to be the first to chase it and book a look at it after the price drop on Gumtree.
    yes My mate getting the Seafarer with 1200 hrs at $15 is an ok deal too. Im doing work to the trailer so it all be tidy. A bit of cosmetic work on the boat here and there, but overall win win

commercial hours and recreational hours are different. A commercial motor doesn't sit around all the time like a rec motor does. I would prefer a motor that has done 1000 hours in a year on a commercial motor that has been serviced every 100 hrs than a recreational motor that has done 500 hours over 5 years.
    Sounds like you got a good bargain.

Really good deal mate, well done.
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by stang69 View Post
    commercial hours and recreational hours are different. A commercial motor doesn't sit around all the time like a rec motor does. I would prefer a motor that has done 1000 hours in a year on a commercial motor that has been serviced every 100 hrs than a recreational motor that has done 500 hours over 5 years.
    Sounds like you got a good bargain.
    so stang at 100 hrs a year what do you think might be a reasonable expectation of overall hours. Just wondering if your assessment is based on experience of such variation and if so, please share your info.
    cheers

Did you get the yalta re-rated for a 175? Bet that hull would fly.

too many variables to factor such as type of use, and maintenance. It would only be guessing.
    But I have seen outboards with 2000 hours with minimal servicing in commercial applications. To get that many hours on a recreational motor would take a long time usually and I doubt it would get there at 100 hours a year.

The actual hours are really only an indicator of how much use the motor has had, not if it's going to fail next time out, or likely to go for another 10 years, lots of motors bugger up while still under warranty, and others the same are still running years later, just on the rec hours thing, it takes a LOT of use to log up big hours.

Quote Originally Posted by JulianDeMarchi View Post
    Did you get the yalta re-rated for a 175? Bet that hull would fly.
    Hey bud its a swap of two 175 donks.
    re read the post as its already fitted with a 175.

Quote Originally Posted by stang69 View Post
    too many variables to factor such as type of use, and maintenance. It would only be guessing.
    But I have seen outboards with 2000 hours with minimal servicing in commercial applications. To get that many hours on a recreational motor would take a long time usually and I doubt it would get there at 100 hours a year.
    yep i do about 75 - 80 hrs a year on average. I see your point. Even keeping your boat under roof on a concrete floor minimises corrosion etc from dew over the years

Had a pair of Yammies on a commercial boat with 4000hrs on them and purring like kittens when I sold it.

Yes but that's Yamahardness for you