Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gear for Barra

Re: Gear for Barra

And i can load the spare Stradic spool with lighter line and just swap the reel when i need light gear for Barra

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

I reckon the baitcaster on that rod with 30lb braid will be fine. My reference to budget was just that. My favourite barra setup cost about $800 and is probably a bit lighter,smoother and more durable but that setup you're looking at will catch any barra in lakefield. I would use it over those other options you mentioned.

Of recent times I've been collecting old baitcasters and I always try and get a few barra on each one before putting it on the shelf. The pic in my avatar is an old 2 speed shimano bantam on a 72cm barra caught in Lakefield, off the bank. It doesn't have instant anti reverse and is a bit clunky but casts well and the drag is smooth.

You can catch a barra on any gear. Price just makes it nicer to use.

Like Nagg said, If a big barra plays dirty it doesn't matter what gear you're using, particularly from the bank.

Just use a decent length of 60lb leader tied with a knot that won't catch on the levelwind or guides when casting (suggest fg knot). That way you'll be able to drag most fish out of the water without getting eaten.

Thanks guys. What's the best way to put them back without getting eaten? Haha. But serious question....

Cheers

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Two handed throw. One hand holding the bottom jaw and one supporting the belly. Spear em in if possible but not crucial

Throw them. All bets are off when it comes to snapping handbags. No fishes life is worth your own or one of your boys.

Thanks guys. My plan was to throw them...preferably from 6m back from the edge!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Thanks guys. My plan was to throw them...preferably from 6m back from the edge!

Cheers

Yep good plan , i agree.
    Support the belly when you can, as they go back alright when you hang em up by the head but they don't survive as well as those that have their weight supported. And go withe the FG know, very smooth but not sure it's as strong as the albright FOR ME. Please note I have shouted "for me" as I'm sure others have better knot tying abilities than me. I have to put some time in to learn to tie it right obviously, but as far as knot size is concerned it's a great knot. In fact, a f%*&ing great knot. (FG) I don't use it when I'm live baiting as the sinker runs up past the knot and then doesnt come back so I prefer the albright for baits.

Ausfish Bronze Member Stressless's Avatar

Take plenty of lures, better to fish weedless Zmann plastics to save (reduce) snagging, big laughing logs up there