Thread: Venturing out in front of Stradbroke Island

Venturing out in front of Stradbroke Island

Hi all, I've had a couple of exploratory trips out the front of Straddie recently... sounding around Middle and 7's Reef's, and it looks promising. I'm not really sure how to fish these areas... Soft Plastic or bait? Being on a jetski I prefer to use plastics as they are cleaner and don't require a bait board, but I've never fished in that depth of water before and uncertain of what type of fish are there. So will a plastic even get to the bottom and do fish that deep see plastics as food or do they prefer to smell bait? Any info will be appreciated as I don't carry much tackle and it's a long way to come back to buy bait if plastics aren't working...ha

cheers
    Andy

Re: Venturing out in front of Stradbroke Island

You can easily fish plastics in that depth if that's your preference, adjust up the jig weight until it flutters down to the bottom nicely. Either option will work on the right day. I've only done OK trolling in those areas personally, a dawn or dusk session would improve chances would be my guess.

You wouldn't be the first person to put a couple of plastics on a Paternoster rig.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

3/8th jigheads and 5-7 inch jerkshads do the trick for me. Look around for bait and you should do well.

thanks guys ... it looks like the weather might beat me this weekend, but I'm itching to give it a go... maybe Sunday I'll see how blowy it is in the morning...

I ventured out on Sunday, and not too bad a day... No decent fish though, but again I was sounding around a bit and just getting a feel for it, where the fish hold etc.
    I used to own a boat and haven't quite got my head around not having gunwales between me and the briney... so when the wind picked up I headed back in...I only got a few leatherjackets off middle reef and all small.. I may have to revert to bait to see if I can get some results.. the bar (inner channel) was a bit mushy on the outgoing tide but still an easy trip in and out... Had to slow down for Mumma Dugong walking her kid across the Rouse... and some dolphins chasing a few mackerel off Amity Point (a bit of aerial display by both) pretty slow day out apart from that...

Hi Maca where are you located I am just getting into fishing from a ski after having a boat usually launch from Bribie, scarbrough or mooloolaba but happy to travel to new areas for a bit of company on the water.
    aaron

Hi Aaron,
    I usually launch form Manly (cos' that's where i live) ... that'd be great, I'm a horrible fisherman though but keen as to learn/improve.

Oh I didn't say I could fish I just said I had a boat lol plus it's been 12 months or more since I have been out. Just recovering from some broken ribs and sholder but should be good to go in a couple of weeks. I will be looking at getting out for some work day fishing at least once a month.

Hi Andy,Just wondering if your back to using your esky on the back of your ski,I normally just chase the Fatty around the Pin & Goldy but they are starting to slow up now so I am thinking of doing some day fishing,Only had my ski for a few Months after selling my 4.6 tinny.I would by interested in following you out to a couple of spots for a fish in the bay some time so if you can drop me a message next time your heading out.
    Wayne

Yep sounds fine . I'm a pretty ordinary fisherman though... so if anyone else wants to come out that knows how to fish... It's looking not too bad for the weekend.

I Fish mostly with Plastics,Less Mess & great spot.Wayne

Interested in Tagging along for a fish with you guys.
    Wayne

How often are you guys fishing on your skis,I'd like to Tag along for a Fish,I normally chase the Flatties at the pin.
    Wayne